K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Paper Towns

May 02, 11

bookshelves: borrowed, ya
Recommended to K.D. by: Ace
Read from April 21 to May 02, 2011, read count: 1

“Mirroring” is a concept in psychology where a person can know himself better by soliciting feedbacks from other people who he interacts with either at home or at work. Last weekend, I attended a company-sponsored teambuilding session and the facilitator used this. I got some good feedbacks that confirmed what I already knew but also some revelations. Those included in the so-called “blindspots” quadrant.

In this novel Paper Towns, John Green indirectly used Margo Roth Spiegelman for Quentine Jacobsen or simply Q to understand love and life and to know himself better as a person, as a man. Not by giving him direct feedbacks but by making him experience the things that he would not have dared doing. Who would have dared driving your parents’ car in the middle of the night, pushing it with your friend few meters away from the house so as not to awake them with the sound of the engine? Then going to the houses of the people who wronged your friend just to avenge? Then your friend disappeared, with no intention of returning and not wanting to be found, the following day? Leaving a note after a hug and a kiss: “I. Will. Miss. Hanging. Out. With. You.” That was after leaving catfishes in the underwear drawer of a friend ha ha. Who would have thought of having this plot in the first place?

What makes this novel engaging is the prose: it is downright sincere and true to its voice: youngish, quirky, innocent yet full of life lessons. Green does not push down his philosophy on growing up down your throat. He lets you enjoy his story and life realizations just naturally follow. I am sure that Green’s idiosyncrasies must have been reflected somehow by his many male characters: Q, Radar and Ben but Margo permeates in each page of this novel:
”Yes. The fundamental mistake I had always made — and that she had, in fairness, always led me to make — was this: Margo was not a miracle. She was not an adventure. She was not a fine and precious thing. She was a girl."
I applaud Green for creating a character like Margo that can rally boys to transform themselves into men without disregard to the pains of growing up. After all, we all went through those pains – not having a prom date, losing your first love, unrequited love, unknowingly pissing off some of our friends, etc – and we all learned from them. As we grow old, we tend to ridicule young people experiencing the same pains and call them trivial and proudly say something like you ain’t seen nothing yet! But for them, those are parts of their lives. That’s where we were. That’s where they are now.

Like Margo’s paper towns, we need to take care not to blow down the delicate houses and make them fall apart. And yes, even one of my blind spots has just been cleared by this novel.

284 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

04/21/2011 page 30
10.0% "So far, the story reminds me of "FLIPPED" Two adolescents who are neighbors."

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] yup me too. though I just watch the movie. :P

K.D. Absolutely But this one has a different plot. Margo rans away and her whereabout is now the mystery in the second part of the book. The girl in Flipped only stayed, waiting for things to happen, at home.

Monique I never thought that a middle-age man like me would still enjoy a YA book. Where were these books when I was growing up?

We just choose the ones we like, K.D. I really liked this book, too. Have you read his Looking For Alaska? :)

Oh and I didn't know there was a psychological "twist" to the plot, the mirroring thing. That's what I discovered for today! :)

K.D. Absolutely Not yet Monique. I will wait for YA people to lend me their John Greens ha ha. I feel ridiculous buying YA books. The salesclerks stare at me as if I am a strange person.

message 5: by Aaron Vincent (last edited May 02, 2011 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aaron Vincent WIN!! :))

I find it amusing that the things we took and reflect upon from the book are different from one another. Margo's surname Spiegelman is a German word for mirrorman or mirrormaker.

Possibly one of my favorite reviews for this book. :)

Monique Margo's surname Spiegelman is a German word for mirrorman or mirrormaker.

See, there's another thing I discovered for today! :)

Tina Aaron Vincent wrote: "Possibly one of my favorite reviews for this book. :) "

My favorite too :) Great review, KD! :)

Aaron Vincent Monique wrote: "
See, there's another thing I discovered for today! :)"

That's what you get for religiously watching JG vlogs! hehe

Emir Never Aaron Vincent wrote: "Margo's surname Spiegelman is a German word for mirrorman or mirrormaker."

This, indeed, is revelation. Green minds unite!

message 10: by Faye (new) - added it

Faye you pretty convinced me on reading this one with your review. :)

message 11: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely AARON: Thanks! I owe you this and all the nice YA books that I've read so far!

TINA: Awwww, thank you! *flattered*

EMIR: Where I can get a copy of "Alaska" and "Abundance"?

MONIQUE: It is nice, isn't it? We keep learning new things. One perk of being a reader and a member of Goodreads Filipinos group :)

FAYE: Yes, please. Do read this. Excellent YA!

Monique K.D., I have Alaska, if you want to borrow it. :)

message 13: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely MONIQUE: Thanks. Please reserve it for me and bring in the next meet up! Some say that it is the best among Green's 3 books.

Monique I haven't read Katherines but between this book and Alaska, I like the latter one better. ;)

Emir Never K.D., I think these are available in FB at High Street.

message 16: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely I don't want to buy this book, Emir. My brother and daughter are not fond of YA :)

Emir Never Ignore them. We're Young Alsos.

Monique Emir wrote: "Ignore them. We're Young Alsos."

Bwahaha! I agree!

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] wah! ambilis mo KD. di p ako tapos. :P btw, great review.

message 20: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Ang ganda nang review! I want to read this but i can't seem to find a copy.

message 21: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely SARAH: Thanks for the like. If you want, you can borrow the book that is with me from ACE. He is very open in lending his books but you have to ask him. I agree that it is not always available. In fact, I only got this during the last meet up.

message 22: by Ace (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ace No worries, you can borrow my book. Just take care of it :)

message 23: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely SARAH: Tell me when you want to see me. I work in Ortigas but my home is in QC.

message 24: by Sarah (last edited May 09, 2011 05:28AM) (new) - added it

Sarah Ace wrote: "No worries, you can borrow my book. Just take care of it :)"

Really?! You're lending me your book? Thank you. :)

message 25: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah K.D. wrote: "SARAH: Tell me when you want to see me. I work in Ortigas but my home is in QC."

When are you free Kuya K.D.? Medyo busy kasi ngayong week and the next. Patapos na kasi summer classes ko and we're struggling with thesis and exams.

message 26: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Anytime next week after office except Friday, Sarah.

message 27: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah K.D. wrote: "Anytime next week after office except Friday, Sarah."

Kuya K.D and Ace. My father bought me the book last Tues. Yay! But salamat sa offer. I really appreciated it. :D

message 28: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely That's good, Sarah! :)
Happy reading!

Jonathan Spear Only a 3 out of 5?

message 30: by Jhae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jhae Great review!

message 31: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Jonathan and Jhae.

message 32: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Elessar Hi, Your review is really apt. I loved it.

message 33: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Chromatic. :)

message 34: by Jalyn Arianne (new)

Jalyn Arianne "That’s where we were. That’s where they are now. "

I like this part, Kuya. HAHA. Ang ganda ng review mo. Kaya naman gustung-gusto ko nang makabasa ng works ni John Green :)

message 35: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Salamat, Jalyn. Kuha yan sa Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon hahaha.

message 36: by Joanna (new)

Joanna I do mirroring too

message 37: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Joanna, thanks for that note. You surprised me. Are you planning to read John Green's books now? :) This one is good!!!

Victoria M I love the way you rate/review this book. :bd :)

message 39: by K.D. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K.D. Absolutely Victoria wrote: "I love the way you rate/review this book. :bd :)"

Thanks!

message 40: by Kacielowrey (new)

Kacielowrey "“Mirroring” is a concept in psychology where a person can know himself better by soliciting feedbacks from other people who he interacts with either at home or at work"
After reading this from your review , I was scrolling through the comments and some this...
"Margo's surname Spiegelman is a German word for mirrorman or mirrormaker."
And wow. That totally opened up my mind in a way I had yet to see! But already understand completely! Mainly because I thought I began to mirror Margo as well, even though our only interaction was me reading this book. I felt like I new Margo and Q , and I praise GReen for that! He gave such deep and dynamic characters that really made the book more than just another novel!