Patricia's Reviews > Practice Makes Perfect

Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

Aug 13, 2015

bookshelves: 2011, review-on-old-blog
Read from April 08 to 09, 2011

Note: Reviewed both, JTSMA and PMP, together on BookExhibitionism, here.

Letter to my Future Self
Dear Patricia,

I deleted the first paragraph again and again in the last ten minutes, because I have no idea how to start a review or post about Julie James' books. I hope that you do know how to do it and edit this post. Thanks. ; ) Darn you, Julie James and your fantastic books! They were all I needed when I read them for the first time (and the second, and the third) and they still are exactly what they promise to be: Light and funny. (And also about relatively privileged, self-confident white people, but we can't have it all, can we?)

Just the Sexiest Man Alive, despite the title, is one of my favorite novels ever. It's a fast read, I love the trope, and even though the story does not haunt me, I always come back for a reread then and again. Taylor is this really ambitious lawyer, trying to become a senior partner. She's from Chicago, but currently working in L.A. where her temporary boss tells her to work with Jason Andrews, the sexiest man alive. He needs some inspiration and help for his new role.
"The character I’m playing in the film is this driven, workaholic lawyer who has never lost a case. When I’m playing him.." He paused, his voice softening. Somehow they were now standing just inches apart. "I think of you." When their eyes met, Jason grinned and added, "With a penis."

In a way the book deals with looking below the surface, which makes Taylor and Jason both very relatable characters. They are extreme, but in the end, they are very much like other humans are. The plot in both novels, Just The Sexiest Man Alive and Practice Makes Perfect, is internally driven, and that is nowadays something rare, it seems, especially because that doesn't make the book less fast-paced. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Nora Roberts.)

If there was only one book written by Julie James I was allowed to keep, it would definitely be this one. But that doesn't make her other novels any less good. Practice Makes Perfect is about Payton and J.D., two workaholics, who can't stand eachother, but have to deal with it for a major case. They are very competitive and it makes their relationship very.. entertaining. I haven't yet reread their novel, because the trope doesn't hold that much appeal to me, but the twists are fun and Julie James managed to write some great dialogues.

The thing here is that actually.. they CAN stand eachother. A lot, but there were some things in the past (funny things, don't fret!) that made them dislike eachother now, and one thing led to another.. Heh.

As I have mentioned before, we don't get many externally driven conflicts. Instead of fighting the three-headed dog, Julie James' protagonists have to fight their inner arseholes, which is even funnier when you consider how they deal with problems. They have this self-aware-meets-semi-sardonic thing going on that I know of a friend of ours- She suffers and at the same time she's laughing about it as if it was a joke the rest of us isn't in on. Future Patricia, when you read this please send her a nice sms or email. :)

In short: Julie James is great and all of her books are keepers!

Patricia from the future here to edit: What friend was I talking about? *I*m that friend, usually. Ah, 2011.. it's been so long. Who the fuck was that friend?
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Practice Makes Perfect.

Quotes Patricia Liked

Julie James
“I think that you are an uptight, pony-owning, trickle-down-economics-loving, Scotch-on-the-rocks-drinking, my-wife-better-take-my-last-name sexist jerk!”
Julie James, Practice Makes Perfect

message 1: by Nea (new)

Nea Barabea Well, well. I guess my german isn't that bad after all :D nice review Patricia! :) ;)

Patricia You speak German? O.O

message 3: by Nea (new)

Nea Barabea Well, I've studied it for 3 years in High School :P Haven't been speaking since then. BUT I do understand you review :P Some words not, but most yes :) Oh, I am proud!! My teacher would be too :D

Patricia It's something to be proud of! And I have no idea how I missed your last comment. oô Mhe, Goodreads.

message 5: by Nea (new)