Daniel's Reviews > Crispin: The Cross of Lead

Crispin by Avi

Feb 12, 08

bookshelves: childrens-books, major-prize-winner, young-adult
Read in January, 2003

Despite my appreciation and desire to read so much young adult and children's literature, I had never read an Avi book before this one. I did think that being the Newbery winning book, it would be a good place to start. Unfortunately, this book just didn't work for me.

What I found was that despite the supposed adventure, it was dull. It was formulaic in a medieval setting. it was predictable.

After reading this, and then reading House of Scorpions and Hoot (two of the Newbery Honor books for the year this won the top prize), I was actually offended by the choice. Either of the other two I just mentioned would have been a MUCH better choice. I also began to think that the Newbery Medal is more plitical that it might seem, and that the award goes toward a body of work by an author more-so than for a single book. House of Scorpions might just be the single best book for young readers in the last fifty years!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crispin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pandora (last edited Aug 14, 2008 12:05PM) (new)

Pandora I agree with you about the Newbery so often the better book doesn't win. My own feelings on the Newbery is if it is a good book that was an accident. I find as a librarain the biggest problem with the Newbery is that the book that wins is the one that appeals to the adults most but, not the one that children will like the best.

I also loved House of Scorpion. Though I liked Crispin House of Scorpion is probably the book kids would enjoy more. Certainly Hoot is a book that kids would like better.