Katherine's Reviews > The Lies That Bind

The Lies That Bind by Kate Carlisle

Jun 03, 11

bookshelves: bibliophilia, 2011, own, mystery-cozy
Read in June, 2011

A murder mystery that blends a little romance with restoring books and bookbinding. It was interesting to have the bookbinding a part of the story but it felt a tiny bit contrived, a little too many segments of facts-for-facts-sake. Still I enjoyed the author trying to convey to the reader the art of bookbinding. For me, by far the best part of the book was reading about various unique locations in and around San Francisco.

Two major detractions:
1-The author refers repeatedly to things that happened in previous books that were not necessary to the story at hand. An occasional mention of something pertinent would be in order but this occurred enough that I kept wondering if it was some kind of misguided commercial scheme to help sell more books.
2-The main character too often became a brainless ninny whenever her current heart-throb entered the scene. Okay, so a bit of female fluttery pitter-pat is one thing, but this seemed more along the lines of the woman's IQ dropping by 50 points. It seemed inconsistent and unflattering.

While there were fun or enjoyable aspects to the book it's probably not one I'd re-read or recommend to others. Somewhere between 2 and 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies That Bind.