Jason Koivu's Reviews > The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee

The Bedwetter by Sarah Silverman

Oct 08, 14

bookshelves: biography, comedy, humor
Read from March 05 to 09, 2011

A couple nights ago, I was licking jelly off my boyfriend's penis. And I thought, "Oh my God — I'm turning into my mother!"

Sarah Silverman exposes herself...well...constantly. That's her ironic, "here's what terrible people say" thing. It's not real. You understand that, right?

In The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption and Pee Silverman exposes the real her. From early childhood to her recent successes in comedy and television, some of the more private and embarrassing episodes of her life are sketched out in this pretty darn funny autobiography.

I saw my father's penis once. But it was okay, because I was soooo young … and sooo drunk.

While not the best-written, most well-constructed piece of literature, it is however unabashedly honest and revealing. And of course it never veers far from the realm of "painfully silly" or "hilariously cringe-worthy".

I want to get an abortion. But my boyfriend and I are having trouble conceiving.

Readers looking for a step by step, linear tale of her personal history will be disappointed. The narrative is kept well-enough in line to be comprehendible, even if it is not absolutely comprehensive. If you're a fan of comedy and you want to hear insider stories or back stage tales about other comedians or what it's like writing (briefly) for SNL, you'll find even more enjoyment here.

I always think I should get on it if I want to have kids. Because once you hit thirty it can be difficult to conceive — it can be dangerous. The best time to conceive is when you're a black teenager.

Though The Bedwetter is about as scatterbrained as you'd expect from such an erratic writer/comedian, it is also a generally satisfying smattering of insights into the mind of an unusual entertainer.

NOTE: The quotes used for this review are not necessarily taken from this book. Bedwetter is about her life. These quotes come from any period of said life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bedwetter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (last edited Feb 21, 2012 07:20AM) (new)

Richard I remember the episode of the Sarah Silverman show where she has this little problem... It's all starting to make sense now!

Don't you mean showperson? :)

Jason Koivu Just as the word comedienne is being phased out and comedian is being used for both sexes, I figure let's get to work on the other gender-reactive nouns! Although, I think your showperson is even more progressive. Hmmm. I don't know though if showpersonship really works. We might want to stick with showman. Let me know if you agree. Then one of us should alert the Oxford English Dictionary of our decision.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Jason wrote: "Just as the word comedienne is being phased out and comedian is being used for both sexes, I figure let's get to work on the other gender-reactive nouns! Although, I think your showperson is even m..."

Well, in Sarah's case, showclown would work just as well, AND apply to either gender!

Jason Koivu Richard wrote: "Jason wrote: "Just as the word comedienne is being phased out and comedian is being used for both sexes, I figure let's get to work on the other gender-reactive nouns! Although, I think your showpe..."

Lol! Yes, and I think she would approve as well.

message 5: by Nandakishore (new)

Nandakishore Varma I am all for gender equality, but I am not sure whether we should have Superperson, Batperson and Spiderperson... just does not have the punch!

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Nandakishore wrote: "I am all for gender equality, but I am not sure whether we should have Superperson, Batperson and Spiderperson... just does not have the punch!"

It all depends on the pronunciation!

message 7: by Jason (last edited Feb 21, 2012 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jason Koivu Nandakishore wrote: "I am all for gender equality, but I am not sure whether we should have Superperson, Batperson and Spiderperson... just does not have the punch!"

Oh, very good point! I mean, I wouldn't mind (and might really enjoy) being saved from peril by Supergirl, but having to say "Thank you, Superperson! You saved my life!" sounds really weak!

message 8: by Nandakishore (new)

Nandakishore Varma Jason wrote: "I mean, I wouldn't mind (and might really enjoy) being saved from peril by Supergirl..."

Especially if she has to give me mouth-to-mouth resusciation.;)

Jason Koivu Nandakishore wrote: "Jason wrote: "I mean, I wouldn't mind (and might really enjoy) being saved from peril by Supergirl..."

Especially if she has to give me mouth-to-mouth resusciation.;)"

Indeed.

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard Jason wrote: "Nandakishore wrote: "Jason wrote: "I mean, I wouldn't mind (and might really enjoy) being saved from peril by Supergirl..."

Especially if she has to give me mouth-to-mouth resusciation.;)"

Indeed."

Were you trying to revive that statue, Jason? Don't you know that only happens in children's literature?

Jason Koivu Haha! If I could resurrect Hendrix by giving mouth-to-mouth to a disease-ridden statue, I might risk it!

PS: For those who are confused, we're talking about another profile photo I uploaded.

message 12: by Carmen (new)

Carmen I liked that photo. :)

message 13: by Carmen (new)

Carmen And I still like it. :)