Ciarra's Reviews > Spilling Ink: A Young Writer's Handbook

Mar 05, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Young Writers
I own a copy , read count: 1

Spilling Ink By Ellen Potter and Anne Mazer is a handbook for young writers. In this book Ellen and Anne give all sorts of tips and advice on making a book. From making characters come to life to how to turn on your idea radar, this book has it covered. Spilling Ink also gives some insight on making picture books and more on being a writer instead of just how to make a book.

Spilling Ink really is a great handbook for any young author. I feel like a changed writer after reading it. I feel more confident in plotting and revising and I know the things I need to work on. Along with the great advice, this book is interactive. Throughout the book there are 21 mini essays so you can try out the tips and tricks the authors give for yourself. I haven't done one of them! I wanted to read the book once and some other time I plan to read the book over again with my mechanical pencil and a notebook in hand. This book is also illustrated by Matt Phelan for those who just can't stand a book without pictures.

At the beginning of the book the authors mention that this book doesn't just have to be for people who wish to be authors. It encourages writing even for those who didn't plan to. Even if you never ever never would want to be writer it's still fun to read. I'm sure that if someone read it they would most definitely feel like writing something. Or maybe that's just me. Either way, this was an amazing book which I recommend to anyone and everyone who is interested in writing stories. Fiction, sci-fi, romance, realistic fiction, mystery, it doesn't matter your style. Spilling Ink will help you out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spilling Ink.