Jana's Reviews > Bite Me

Bite Me by Christopher Moore

Jan 27, 13

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
Read in January, 2011

I picked this up (not realizing that it was book #3 in a series) because I have always liked Moore's wicked use of ironic humor. Still it took me a while to get into the text. He does a rapid fire synopsis of "all that went before" in the voice of one protagonist, a teenage girl who does a cross between valley-girl speak ("kayso I was all like...") and chat speak (Tnx L8rz bi) that was hard to read. I think the biggest obstacle to smooth flow of the storyline was that Moore switches voices constantly between Abby, the teen vampire wannabe, and the geek she is having sex with, as well as the supporting characters. I think if I had read the other 2 prequels I might have had more investment in these characters. Unfortunately by the time I got the rhythm of the shifting voices, the book was over. I did like the homeless guy who styled himself "Emperor of San Francisco"--a nice nod to the Emperor Norton there. But I am unlikely to pick up the first 2 books in this series at this point.

If you are unfamiliar with Moore's work, I advise picking up The Stupidest Angel or Fool instead. Much better reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bite Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Finally, someone who felt the same way I did. I was beginning to think I was the last person on earth who didn't enjoy reading "text".

Julia Orloff I wanted to like the book but became so annoyed with the shift to Abby that it was impossible.

Michael Your review was right on point as to how I experienced it myself