Shawna's Reviews > Playing for Keeps

Playing for Keeps by Luann McLane

Mar 05, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, heroine-chaperone-governess-teacher, heroine-prim-proper-decorous, kindle, small-town-lovin, sports-romance-hot-jocks, author-luann-mclane, first-book-in-a-series, hh-actor-actress-celebrity-model, unrequited-love-crush, 2011-reads, 3-to-4-stars, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, cowboy-stud-fever, hero-beta, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-kindle, made-me-cry, satisfying-secondary-romance, steam-3-hot, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, steam-2-warm, series-cricket-creek, heroine-girl-next-door, hero-southern-boy-charmer, hh-famous-celebrity, hero-flirt-charmer-ladies-man
Recommended for: Fans of sweet, small-town contemporary romance
Read from March 07 to 09, 2011

3 ½-4 stars – Contemporary Romance

This is a sweet, charming southern small-town contemporary romance about a former Major League baseball pitcher who returns to his quaint hometown of Cricket Creek, Kentucky following the untimely death of his soap opera career to star in the community theater’s summer play and learns that you truly can go home again.

Noah Falcon just wants to spend time in his hometown soaking up his southern roots and honing his acting skills to make a big comeback and doesn’t plan on staying in Cricket Creek permanently. Cricket Creek High School teacher Olivia Lawson remembers Noah from their own high school days when he was the popular jock and she the class geek, and she doesn’t want a famous playboy athlete with an ego like Noah not taking his acting in the play seriously, especially since she’s his co-lead. But as they spend time together rehearsing, Olivia realizes that Noah is much more than she thought, and Noah falls hard for Olivia and charming Cricket Creek.

There’s also a fun and sexy secondary romance between young lovers, playwright Madison and construction worker Jason, which adds nicely to the story, as well as a sweet side romance between Olivia’s father Owen and Madison’s aunt Myra that proves it’s never too late to find love. The author also spends a lot of time focusing on the struggles of the town and local businesses that have been hit hard by the economy and how the community pulls together in tough times.

There’s nothing overly remarkable about it, but Playing for Keeps is a sweet, feel good read with a heartwarming ending that will leave a satisfied smile on your face. It’s a nice way to spend an afternoon. I’ll definitely check out the next book in the series, Catch of the Day , about local Wine and Diner owner and chef Jessica Robinson and ex-Major League baseball player Ty McKenna when it comes out in Jan’2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for Keeps.

05/22/2016 marked as: read

Mahlet Glad to see this great review! It's already on my "read before June" hit list :)

message 2: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Love your review Shawna. There are times I love to read a sweet, feel good romance and I love small town contemporaries. Had to add this one to my TBR mtn.

Shawna Thanks, ladies! Perhaps it wasn't anything spectacular, but still a nice, heartwarming read when you're in the mood for a feel good romance.

Shawna YW, Mia! I hope you enjoy it!

Lisa Great review :) I've read a few of her other books and have enjoyed them for what you said this one was...a sweet, feel good read. Those are good once in awhile :)

Shawna Thanks, Lisa! Yep, sweet small town romances are good when you need a feel good pick me up!

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review Shawna. :)

I read the first book by this author and got a kick out of it. Funny stuff and very sweet! Didn't care for the one that came after tho. Do you think I'd like this one?

Shawna Thanks, Tammy! Good to hear from ya! It's on the sweeter side with some humor, but I know you prefer quite a bit of witty humor in your romances. I think you'd like it okay, but not sure if you'd love it. Does that help?

message 9: by Shawna (last edited Mar 11, 2011 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna Thanks, Zosia! It's definitely one of those that requires the right mood, but a light, sweet read can sometimes provide a nice change of pace now and then.

I'd read a couple of others by this author, He's No Prince Charming and Dark Roots and Cowboy Boots, so I knew to expect a good dose of southern charm, which I realize isn't everyone's cup of sweet tea. :)

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Shawna wrote: "Thanks, Tammy! Good to hear from ya! It's on the sweeter side with some humor, but I know you prefer quite a bit of witty humor in your romances. I think you'd like it okay, but not sure if you'd l..."

Yes! Thank you. :)