Minnie Romanovich's Reviews > Barrel Fever

Barrel Fever by David Sedaris

Jun 12, 07

Another "bestseller" from the humorist; I bought this in blind faith only because it was a Sedaris. However, I admit I was a tad disappointed. In some of the essays, it felt like he was trying too hard to be funny; the stories seemed to lack the punch found in "Naked," "Me Talk Pretty One Day," or "Holidays on Ice."

If you must read this, borrow it from a library or buy it used. It works well as a paper-weight.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barrel Fever.

Timothy 1/5 is "tad disappointment" to you? heh

Yvonne I "liked" your comment as I thought this not as funny as Sedaris's other works. Then my speed-reading eye caught up with the end of your comment; "works well as a paperweight" goes too far, I think.

Himmelblum I actually love the paperweight comment. I keep trying to read this book because I adored Naked and Me Talk Pretty. I will plow through a few more pages before setting this book aside and picking up something more interesting.

Minnie Romanovich Himmelblum wrote: "I actually love the paperweight comment. I keep trying to read this book because I adored Naked and Me Talk Pretty. I will plow through a few more pages before setting this book aside and picking..."

Hah, thanks. I usually don't make such scathing remarks in my reviews, but with Sedaris, I tend to have high expectations, being as he is one of my most favorite authors. Barrel Fever is the only one of his books that disappoints; all his other works are stellar.