Karen's Reviews > Moonheart

Moonheart by Charles  de Lint

Feb 12, 2008

Read in October, 1984

** spoiler alert ** The book which was my introduction to Charles de Lint. One of the most unforgettable characters in this book is actually a house. Tamson House. A huge rooming house with a center courtyard/garden which opens into the Otherworld realms of Faerie.

Years later I would find this was also a favorite of my friend Janice and our late friend Bonnie. We had plans to establish our own Tamson House where we could live separate lives with the support of our friends and create as we each did. Even though the plan faded away after Bonnie left us, it is still an excellent idea for a way of living.

As to the rest of the story, it was one I felt immediate kinship with as though I could have found myself written into the pages and not have been surprised.

Charles de Lint blends elements of Nat. people's and Celtic mythology, music and magic into his stories. I was surprised by some of the other reviews which described it as a difficult read. It does sound like some never even bothered to get into the story but panned it without actually reading it. It is a very good place to start for de Lint's writings.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonheart.