Jordan's Reviews > Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I

Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jun 23, 11

bookshelves: mystery, brit-lit
Read from March 05 to June 23, 2011

Volume I of this Sherlock Holmes collection contains the short stories and novels that have made Doyle's consulting detective the foundation for all contemporary detective fiction. Reading the mysteries contained within 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' and 'The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes,' it's hard to not feel the slightest bit of familiarity, even if you have never read the books through before. Doyle's style has been so imitated, and his stories so replicated through various mediums, that it's difficult to not feel a bit of a tingle of recognition at them.

I've always been partial to 'Memoirs' over 'Adventures,' and I regard the origin story of Sherlock and Waton's partnership in the novel 'A Study in Scarlet' with complete fondness, even though, like the 2nd novel 'Sign of the Four,' it is weak in comparison with Doyle's later writings. Doyle always proclaimed his love for 'The Adventure of the Speckled Band,' but my favorites are the humor and deception of Holmes in 'The Reigate Puzzle,' and the more adventure-oriented chase of the 'Napolean of crime' Professor Moriarity in 'The Final Problem.' Luckily, readers today don't have to mourn too long assuming Holmes has tumbled fatally over the Reigate Falls, as the logican returns in the second volume of stories, as well as Doyle's Holmes masterpiece, 'The Hound of the Baskervilles.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sherlock Holmes.

03/05/2011 page 103