Crystal's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011, arc, sc-tour
Read from July 20 to 25, 2011

What a fantastic ride! I have been looking for a new adventure and this fits perfectly.

Kate Connelly lives with her two brothers on Skarmouth, a little island town where everybody knows everybody. This town may look like any other but every November the town is transformed by the arrival of the capaill uisce, water horses. These horses are not your normal everyday mares. These horses are big, meat eating, unpredicatable, and sea craving beasts. When they emerge from the sea in November the men of Skarmouth grab them when they can and try to train them to race in the Scorpio Races. As you can guess some make it to the actual race and some do not.

Kate lost her parent to a boating accident that involoved the capaill uisce and now her oldest brother has decided to leave his siblings behind to go to the Mainland. This is devastating enough but when she learns that they might lose the only home they have even known she decides to take a dramatic action. Kate, or rather Puck to the town, signs up for the Scorpio Races. The only problem is that she is terrified of the capaill uisce and the only horse she has ever ridden is her beloved Dove. This begins her journey and what an incredible one it is.

This is not only her story though, Sean Kendrick plays a huge role throughout this book. The POV changes between with every chapter and his story is just as griping and heartbreaking as hers. Sean loves to ride the capaill uisce. He has grown up around them and even his father rode before taking a great fall to one. Sean has won four out of the past six races and he always rides Corr. These two have a very long history and Corr would be his prize possession if only he owned him. Sean is pretty much revered in the town and very respected for his work with the water horses with the exception of Mutt, his bosses son. Things start getting complicated when Mutt's jealousy starts going too far and before Sean knows it he is fighting for not only his freedom, but Corrs as well.

Kate and Puck have a very unusual relationship at first but it is born out of mutual respect and that is something we don't see too much of in current YA books. I loved these two together and I will even go as far to say that they are among my favorite couples. I will say that if you are looking for a great romance this book is not it. The story is more centered around the town and the races which are quite fascinating so you won't be bothered by the mild romance. I found myself so intrigued by the water horses and everything about them. I really want a sequel to this book. This world is so unique and different and I give Stiefvater major kudos for bringing in a whole idea to the YA genre. For fans of her Mercy Falls books you will not be disappointed and if you are new to her writing I promise this book will captivate you with it magical water horses.

Thank you so much Flannery, http://www.thereadventurer.com/, for touring this book at the corner! You are the best!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal Woohoo! Thanks Flannery for sending this out on tour!

Arlene I love the bookmarks that you put in there...wait until you see which one I put in your package XD

Arlene Glad you enjoyed the bookmark! Cant wait :)

message 3: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery I hope you like it as much as Arlene:) Happy reading!

Crystal Thanks Arlene and Flannery! I am really enjoying it! I am hoping to have it finished no later than tomorrow =)

Arlene Awesome review Crystal! I'm so glad you loved it too. It feels like a stand alone book, but I would welcome a sequel... maybe something involving Finn. He was a great character too! :)

Crystal Thanks! I really did love it, it was just so different from what is out there right now. Oh I would Love a book on Finn! He was definitely a great character.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko So happy you enjoyed this as much as your "sister" :p)

Crystal lol I really did =P

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Had to give you a hard time. I am glad you mentioned there wasn't a lot of romance.

Alexa Great review; this sounds really good. Can't wait to read it! :)

Crystal JJJ the romance felt right in this one and not forced. I hope you like it if you read it =)

Thanks Alexa! I can't wait to see what you think, I mailed it priority today =)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I love it no one has ever called me JJJ but it makes sense and made me laugh as well. I have it marked to read and it sounds amazing. I am a sucker for romance however I treasure the Hunger Games and there is way more going on in that Trilogy. Thanks Crystal.

Crystal Oh sorry I didn't mean to shorten your name! I am horrible about doing that. I loved the Hunger Games =)

message 14: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Awesome review Crystal! I am really getting excited for this book :)

Crystal Thanks! I think you are going to love it!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko No worries I don't mind at all honestly.. JJJ is good. :) What will you be reading next?

Crystal lol JJJ it is =) I am reading Raw Blue right now and I am loving it so far.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Raw Blue looks awesome! I just bought some Aussie books we can't get in the states on my next purchase I plan to get it as well as Saving June.

Crystal You can't go wrong with Aussie books =) Enjoy!

~Tina~ I was gonna wait till it came out, but I think I'll just sign up for the tour, it sounds really great! Loved the review hun:)

Crystal Thanks! You won't regret jumping on the tour =)