Karishma's Reviews > Doing It

Doing It by Melvin Burgess

Mar 05, 2011

Read in March, 2011

Hmm, *taps chin* what to say, what to say?

For starters, this book definitely talks about that three letter word a lot (the word is sex, if you didn't catch that), but I wouldn't allow anyone to shy away from this book simply because of that. Initially, I was gobsmacked at how it just jumped right into it, but it's not unbearable; you get past it. Plus, the male perspective is not something you find very often. The book alternates POV's.

About halfway through is when I probably got the distinction between the three main boys: Dino, Jonathon, and Ben.

Dino- Thinks he's It. Pretty much all his life, he's wanted one thing (aside from a good shag): Jackie. In his mind, they are "destined" to be together. Throughout the book, Dino goes through loads of crap. This boy was probably the one I was most conflicted about, because he's got certain aspects of him that are nice and persuade you to think he's nice, but I just feel that underneath it all, he's still same old Dino. I also kept wanting to call him Deen when I first started reading...

Jonathon- Probably slightly mad, but hey, he's a teenage boy. His main priority is "Mr. Knobby." He spends most of his time worrying about him. He likes a girl who's a bit on the larger side, Deborah, but doesn't want to be made fun of by his mates. Jon's problems I could sort of understand, but at the same time I was sort of apprehensive about his thoughts about them. He's almost two different people.

Ben- A sweet guy, but maybe a little too sweet. He spends most of this book trying to find a way to deal with his relationship with a teacher. Despite some bad decisions, I think Ben was my favorite out of the trio.

When it comes to the girls, it's almost classically female. Nothing we don't already know or haven't already seen. From the girls' POV's, I think Deborah's is pretty funny.

All in all, I would recommend this book to almost anyone-excluding small children and perhaps the elderly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doing It.

03/09/2011 page 72
21.0% "A lot more sex than I was expecting. But I think I've gotten over that initial "Whoa!" so I think I'll be fine"
03/12/2011 page 147
44.0% "I've had the strange urge to call Dino Dean for a while, so it's good to know that's not too odd. But theres times where I'll think he's sweet and times when I think he's an A, and times when he just flat out disgusts me"
12/16/2016 marked as: read