♥ Sarah ♥'s Reviews > Die for Me

Die for Me by Amy Plum

2641924

After seeing all the hype surrounding this book, I couldn't help but be excited to pick it up. I'll be honest that even from the description of the book, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What in the world is a revenant was the first and biggest mystery to me. But, it's explained pretty well in the book, and to sum it up, it's pretty much a type of zombie. Except, it's not the brainless type of zombie you're used to hearing about. It's probably easier just to say that it's an immortal who is very difficult to kill.

Anyways, I liked a lot about this book. I liked the characters. Probably my favorite characters were actually two of the side characters, Ambrose and Charlotte. Although, I did like Kate, and I thought Plum did a good job of helping us relate to her character. I also liked Vincent. But, some of the things he did, especially in the beginning, I found to be more creepy stalker guy than romantic protective guy, given the circumstances. Another thing I absolutely loved was the setting. I love that this takes place in Paris. It's one of the places I would love to go one day, and I've always wanted (and sometimes try) to learn French.

The romance between Kate and Vincent was sweet towards the end, but a little bit rushed and unbelievable in the beginning. I suppose you could say it was love at first sight. But, love at first sight is very hard to write so that it's believable to the reader. Don't get me wrong, it happens in real life. I've even seen it happen first hand. But, it's a difficult thing to write because it's not a common occurrence, and the reader wants more to build upon.

The other thing I found lacking was the conflict and story. I think this is mainly due to the book being the first book in a series. There was a lot of world/character/relationship building in this one. There was a bit of conflict at the end that was exciting to read, but it almost seemed like an afterthought. I'm hoping that this problem won't be an issue in the next book since everything is all set up now.

Overall though, I did find the book entertaining. I had a hard time putting it down for the most part, and the writing flowed really well. I liked the heroine, which is a big plus when you're stuck in her head all the time. I also thought the romance between Vincent and Kate was really very sweet and it grew on me over time, despite the fact that it was a little too rushed for my tastes. I will definitely be reading on in the series and I'm excited to see where the story goes.

More of my reviews at I'm Loving ♥ Books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die for Me.