cecilia's Reviews > Tyger Tyger

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Mar 05, 2011

bookshelves: green-covers
Read in March, 2011

Amazing dive into Celtic mythology that definitely left me aching for more! Tyger Tyger was such an unexpected delight that I am surprised that I waited so long to finally read it! Right from the start, Teagan is such a fascinating character - and her family and best friend seem just as colorful! I mean, how cool is it that she gets to talk to chimps via sign language? Super-awesome! And I really adore her family - her father and his quirky bookish humor; her little brother who hates Elvis impersonators; her mother who writes and illustrates children's books!

Unfortunately the goblins soon take over the story - and pretty much turns Tea's world upside-down and wreaks havoc on her family, work, and nearly everything normal in her life.

Tyger Tyger has such a richness in its story that will resonate with anyone who loves a good mythology. Kersten Hamilton's writing captured the very essence of all things Irish in my opinion (not that I am Irish by any means), all beautiful and mysterious and achingly, dangerously heart-breaking. The story kept me on my toes and I can't count how many times I held my breath in fear for Teagan, Finn, and company! I was surprised at all the different places Tyger Tyger took us, but it was hard to mind since I was too wrapped up in all the excitement!

Tyger Tyger is a definite WIN - and I hope that we get to see more of this gorgeous world that Ms. Hamilton has dreamed up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tyger Tyger.