Sarah's Reviews > About Time 2: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who

About Time 2 by Tat Wood

Feb 12, 08

bookshelves: doctor-who-books, reviewed
Read in February, 2008

Another brilliant installment in the "About Time" series. Does it maintain the high level of quality? If anything, this and About Time 1 (Seasons 1 to 3) are the best of the bunch, not because they are especially revelatory in reevaluating lost, 1960s stories - I actually have a bit of trouble accepting some of Wood's and Miles' assertions on the quality of stories I've only heard, once, on ropey cassette tape - but because they allow these earliest of Doctor Who stories, a valuable portal to another, lost version of the world, to be seen or heard in something of their original social context. Even an American can grasp the influence of the "Quatermass" serials on the early 1970s, or the video generation on the mid-80s, but general knowledge of events and culture that influence the '60s in Britain sort of begins and ends with the Beatles and World War Two. Not to say those aren't important, mind - but there's a lot more to it than that.

As usual, sometimes I find myself agreeing heartily with the authors ("The Evil of the Daleks," "The Mind Robber") and sometimes I couldn't think they are more wrong ("The Abominable Snowmen"), but I always come out understanding the position they're coming from and what evidence they're using to back up their claims. Which is more than just about any other 'episode guide' available for any other series.

Volume 3 was good, Volume 4 was better, Volume 5 was fantastic and Volume 1 and Volume 2 are tied for best yet. How can Volume 6 possibly let me down?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About Time 2.