Rachel's Reviews > Rumi: Persian Poet, Whirling Dervish

Rumi by Demi

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: biography-and-memoirs, children, young-adult, picture-books, multicultural, poetry
Read in March, 2011

Gorgeously illustrated and well-done biography of the Sufi mystic poet Jalaluddin Rumi, more commonly referred to by his last name, which was really more like Da Vinci's name (aka Rumi or the man from Rum). A word on the illustration first, as that was originally what drew me to the book. As Demi explains on the inside flap of the book, the book is based off Turkish minatures and is done with "Turkish and Chinese inks and gold overlays," and book was inspired by a trip to Turkey that she took with her son and Turkish daughter-in-law. I also really happen to be fascinated with Sufi poets (as their main message is about love),so I figured this book would be a good introduction to Rumi and his poems, and it was indeed. Although this book would be best for older elementary school children and early middle schoolers, I thought it was complex enough for adults to get a basic idea about the poet/teacher as it included samples of his poetry, including some of the "Mathnavi" and the "Diwan-i Shams-i Tabrizi."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rumi.