Sammy's Reviews > Heart-Shaped Box

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Jun 12, 07

bookshelves: b-the-good
Read in May, 2007

I don't think I quite knew what I was getting into when I picked up this book. I don't know what I thought I was going to read, but it wasn't this. So a warning to you: this book, or at least the beginning of it, is pretty freaky. I'm not a wimp. I grew up on Goosebumps and Scary Stories by Alvan Schwartz, graduating on to Christopher Pike and various R.L. Stine young adult novels. I also love scary movies of all sort, so I'm not one easily freaked out. But this novel was pretty creepy, or at least the beginning.

Perhaps it's the concept and the description of the ghost that is unnerving. Maybe it's also because I was sort of caught off guard by what I was reading. But whatever it was I was freaked out and loving the book. The whole concept of the novel was unique.

At times I found myself wanting to give Joe Hill a thesaurus and a phrase book, because he kept using the same descriptions over and over again. I think it would have also helped him in making things a little clearer. It seemed he was having a little difficulty fleshing out plot points at moments. I can't really think of any specific examples, but you'll come across them as you read it.

The end seemed really just swept up. Not really making too much sense in relation to the story. It seemed like Hill just wanted to quickly wrap it up, no matter how many questions it either raised or left unanswered.

But besides those minor flaws, I gobbled this book up really fast. I wanted to know everything that was going on. Something kept me riveted throughout the whole story. That's why I'm keeping my rating at a B, despite some of the problems I pointed out. I'm also interested in reading some of Hill's other works. It was his way of telling this ghost story and the type of ghost story it was that made me interested. Overall? Pretty good read. Entertaining. Best part? The dogs, because they weren't just animals in the background, they were actual characters, very entertaining and loving ones.

Want a quick, good, scary story? Here's your next read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart-Shaped Box.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by JW (new) - rated it 3 stars

JW Agree about the dogs and how the beginning was spooky but then tailed off. I also thought it was funny the father was such an afterthought. I sorta laughed to myself how he became such a meaningless character. Kudos to Hill for the, what I perceived as, sly humor, "screw the dad," bit.

message 1: by TL (new) - added it

TL great review... is it real gory? i have a weak stomach for strong/over the top gore