The Joy of Booking's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Jul 17, 2011

Who doesn't want to be happier? Actually, pretty much everything we do is an effort to make ourselves happier, from eating tasty food to spending time with friends to pursuing hobbies or interests.

What most of us don't do, however, is apply a prescriptive process to finding happiness, and luckily Gretchen Rubin did that for us. From researching the choices that affect happiness to creating a rubric for measuring it, Gretchen details the specifics of her search for happiness, which she terms The Happiness Project.

Gretchen and I are basically long-lost kindred spirits in terms of anal-retentive charting and even the specific things that we do that don't contribute to our happiness, like forgetting to be true to ourselves. Some of her research turned up surprising things (like the fact that money can indeed help improve happiness, when used to occasionally purchase small things that make our lives better or easier) and some of it was obvious (being nicer to our family and friends helps us be happier), but I found all of it to be fascinating, and when applied to my own life, true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.