oliviasbooks's Reviews > Raw Blue

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

Mar 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, ya-contemporary, e-version, author-from-down-under, read-2011, family-grief-or-other-disasters, high-expectations, lacks-fluff-or-hope, debut, new-adult-fiction
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: Nic, Nomes, Flannery and others
Read from August 14 to 15, 2011 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 personal stars, but deserving more. I honestly do not know how you could deal with the subject - a group rape, which the victim has kept entirely to herself, and its repercussions on her struggle to pretend to live a "normal" life - better than Kristy Eagar does in "Raw Blue". Everything feels so honest, so real, everybody is painted with intrinsical, well-set strokes. There is a lot of old and new pain and hurt and fear and shame and brokenness. Hope glimpses through temporarily like a ray of sunshine in murky water: Mainly in the shape of people who care fo Carly inspite of her prickly exterior - Danny, Hannah and Ryan - and in the form of Carly's contentment when the surf is good.

The writing style is superb, too.

But - and that goes with the topic - it is a difficult book. The pain the reader experiences alongside the heroine is indeed very raw and the anger that boils up occasionally (Don't you hate her Dad and Marty and Shane and Adam and ...?) could melt iron. The feel-good moments that registered on my radar were rather like a small candle-flame in comparison. Therefore, to me, reading "Raw Blue" provided only a limited amount of pleasure.

Thank you, fellow Bookers for recommending this book. I would never have tried to read it without you making contantly admiring noises about it and bringing it up at every possibly and impossible occasion.

Highly recommended to readers who are willing to stomach something raw and blue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.

08/14/2011
22.0% "Kind of painful, but good." 1 comment
08/14/2011
80.0% "Oh, Carly, you should have told Ryan - not about the rape maybe but about Shane sexually harassing you at the beach."

Thebookbutterfly I'm happy that you appreciate this book--it was something that made me step outside of my comfort zone too, when I read it, but it was definitely worth it.

Flannery This is a fabulous review, Olivia. The way you worded everything was just superb.

oliviasbooks Thebookbutterfly wrote: "I'm happy that you appreciate this book--it was something that made me step outside of my comfort zone too, when I read it, but it was definitely worth it."

Yes, I am glad that I had the opportunity to read it. Definitely.

oliviasbooks Flannery wrote: "This is a fabulous review, Olivia. The way you worded everything was just superb."

Awww. Thank you!

Limonessa You're right oliviasbooks, this is not a book one should read for the feel-good moments. I think many of the ones who loved it - me included - appreciated it exactly for its raw honesty.
But then again, it happens. I'm still wearing my scarlet letter: I gave 3 stars to The Piper's Son.