Chrissie's Reviews > City of Oranges: An Intimate History of Arabs and Jews in Jaffa

City of Oranges by Adam LeBor

Jun 06, 08

bookshelves: history, religion, israel, text-checked

Good book! This is a history book, but it also puts a human face on the people living the history. Nevertheless, it remains primarily a "history book". It isn't a light, swift read. At least for me dates and names don't just stick as fast as I want them to. Let me point out that the book description says that it is about 3 Jewish and 3 Arab families. I would instead say it is about several Jewish, Muslim and Christian families. There are lots of family characters to keep track of, but this is no problem because there is a very helpful character list at the front of the book. Maps too are included! How many stars? I guess four.... because of the "human face" factor. So wonderful to read of how sometimes it is possible for friendships to extend over religious divides. Maybe there is hope. How the old domed houses in Jaffa were constructed was also interesting. So there is a lot here beyond just the dry historical facts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Oranges.