Sammy's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Jun 12, 07

bookshelves: a-the-best
Read in April, 2007

What a powerful story. I didn't think I was going to like this book as much as I did... but I really did. I got so involved in this book that my emotions were going haywire. Not just feeling happy and sad as you do with most books, but feeling anxious and angry and dissappointed. Everything these characters felt I began to feel. That's definitely the mark of a great novel and a great writer.

One thing I think this novel really does is shed light on a situation we really don't know all that much about. It highlights a country we only see in stereotypical clips on the news, skewing our perception and making us think only of one type of world. The Kite Runner puts the world we either never saw or don't see into view. We think of Kabul and Afghanistan only as he writes it in the second half of the novel, most of us have never even thought about it in the way it's portrayed in the first half. And that's how Aghanistan was for the longest time.

I think one of the most amazing things about this novel was the friendship between Hassan and Amir. It wasn't what you would think with, "I don't care that he's in another race I'll defend my friend no matter what." It was a real friendship against the odds. He didn't make it cute or fake, Hosseini made it raw and how it would really be in the world where a certain race is persecuted.

The characters are also all well-developed and three demensional. Never once did I see a character that was just there to further the story along and then left, without a background or history to them. Every single character gracing that page had a soul and had a past.

As usual there's so much more I want to say about this book, but for something this good you'll just have to read it yourself. Trust me, it may sound like something you really don't think you'd care for, but you'll be surprised how much Hosseini's writing and characters pull you in. Soon you'll find yourself very grateful you listened to me and picked up this book. Seriously, this book is worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Minhazul Hoque I agree with you about how powerful this story was. I had many dream about this story. And in every dream I came up with a different interpretation about the story the folowing morning. There was lots of information that left explicit information in my mind. It's sad how dangerous Afghanistan was and Khaled Hossein actually had to go through seeing the Taliban execute and murder innocent men, women, and children.

message 2: by Ani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ani Great review! The exact words and true emotions...

message 3: by Aaron (new) - added it

Aaron Mathew Sammy- Thank You for such a thought provoking review, about this book! :)

message 4: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Bennett I agree with what you said as in the characters were very 3-D. I agree with this because i feel like the character in this book are very well developed. At some points you could feel what the character was going through. For example the most emotion moment to me was when Hasan was attacked by Assef and his gang for the kite that he caught for Amir. In this particular part i felt as if i was standing there and watching Hasan being raped. This feeling rose again when Hasans som Sohrab was raped by Assef too. Overall i think this book was very vivid and the characters were so well developed that it made the book even more powerful.

Samantha S. This review took the words out of my mouth! I LOVED it and originally thought it'd just be "ok" - and I can't write more than a 500 word review on it because all words I use to describe it grossly under-review it!!