Donna's Reviews > Outside In

Outside In by Maria V. Snyder

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, sci-fi
Read on March 04, 2011

Trella may have succeeded in changing her world, but it's going to take more than a rebellion to make the scrubs and the uppers work together. A frightening new threat, this time from Outside, is about to make everyone realize that they've got bigger problems than the growing unrest in their new society.

There are some really interesting twists to the story, but overall this one has more action and less intrigue than Inside Out. Trella gets injured or knocked out or tortured enough to set off my "punching-bag heroine" pet peeve, and the shifting alliances get a bit dizzying. Riley's less appealing as a love interest, even before a certain plot point breaks my perception of him.

Trella is in very different circumstances this time. She's a lot less of an underdog. She stepped up as a leader in the previous book, and now she'd rather go back to having a simpler life. It's an understandable impulse, though her avoidance of her new role is sometimes as frustrating to me as it is to her friends and colleagues. Her choices do come back to bite her, but there's also kind of a mixed result. Trella made an important discovery while doing her own thing, so it ended up being good that she neglected what I saw as her responsibilities.

I love the style of this book, but some of the character choices just bugged me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outside In.