Jennifer's Reviews > In The Storm

In The Storm by Karen Metcalf

Apr 02, 11

Read from March 04 to 07, 2011

Carly and her younger brother, Mitch, are living a life of fear. Their stepfather, Richard, is a total jerk that takes pleasure in causing them pain. Everything comes down to a game with this man…if we can even call him that. Carly looks after her brother, protecting him as much as she can. One night she gets angry and - CLICK - she’s transported to another world, a storm world where she is safe from Richard. The downside to Carly’s escape into this world is that she cannot bring her brother with her.

In the Storm is a realistic and unbelievably intense read that is overflowing with emotion. Metcalf’s descriptions of Carly’s family life, as well as the world she escapes to, are captivating. Using emotions as a foundation for In the Storm made it easy to connect with the protagonist and feel everything she felt as the story progressed. I did find it interesting to see how Carly’s daily life not only affected her internally, but the storm world as well. The storm world changing as she changed was interesting and unique.

In the Storm is well written with more than enough to keep you hanging on every single word. I would like to see Metcalf delve deeper into Carly’s storm world so that we could fully experience this part of Carly and all it has to offer. Overal,l I found this to be an enjoyable read that definitely pulls at your emotions, I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading YA.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In The Storm.