Sammy's Reviews > Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller

Miss Spitfire by Sarah  Miller

Jun 12, 07

bookshelves: c-the-okay
Read in February, 2007

I think the only things that makes this different from the Miracle Worker is that it's a book, it sheds a little more light on Annie Sullivan's past, and it's told in first person from her perspective. Other than that it's just, really, the book form of Miracle Worker.

Putting aside the fact that the book is geared towards younger people, it's pretty good writing, especially this being Miller's first novel. But while the story of Helen Keller is fascinating, I have to wonder why we should read this book. I kept wondering what made this book any different from any other Helen Keller book out there. The answer is: nothing. Sure there is the catch that it's supposed to be more about Annie than about Helen, but the focus did keep swinging towards Helen. Granted I'd imagine it would be hard to keep the attention on the less interesting character, Helen Keller being a fascinating and amazing figure.

All in all the book was a pretty entertaining read, shedding a little more light on Annie Sullivan and giving a little more information on the story of Helen's education as a whole. I think for younger readers who haven't learned that much about Helen Keller, this would be an excellent book to add to their learning experience.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Spitfire.