Natalie 's Reviews > The Liar Society

The Liar Society by Lisa Roecker

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, mystery-suspense-thriller, nook
Read from March 04 to 06, 2011

In a Sentence: A fun-filled debut with a heroine that could be Nancy Drew's sarcastic younger sister.

My Thoughts

I've heard several people (like Melissa @ I Swim for Oceans) mention that The Liar Society felt kind of like a mix between Nancy Drew and Veronica Mars. I think I'd probably agree with that description. The Liar Society is the story of a girl searching for answers in a world that does its best to keep those skeletons locked firmly in the closet. However, locked doors and question marks are no match for Kate Lowry. Fueled by the grief and confusion caused by the mysterious death of her best friend, Grace, Kate is canvassing town, trying to piece together the events that led to Grace's death.

First off, I really liked the way that the authors provided the details surrounding the night of Grace's death. Instead of doing a few chapters at the beginning when the incident occurs, The Liar Society begins after Grace's death, and later flashes back to the event as Kate remembers them. These flashbacks appear in the book every few chapters, which reveals the information to the reader gradually, allowing him or her to piece together the parts of the mystery as Kate is doing so herself. The flashbacks not only helped to tie together the story overall, but they also provided variety throughout the book, which helped to keep things interesting.

I also liked that the romance wasn't the main focus of the book. Not that there wasn't any, because there was, but it's refreshing to see a young adult book that isn't conforming to every single categorical stereotype that's popular at the moment (aka: head-pounding, heartbreaking, knee-knocking, head-over-heels puppy "love" between characters that have barely hit puberty). The main focus of the book is the mystery and Kate's struggle to come to terms with what happened to her best friend. Her love life is on the back-burner, but there's enough thrown in to attract those of you die-hard romantics out there as well.

My only problem with the book at all is a pretty small one, and it's that the mystery wasn't much of a mystery for me. I had it figured out from pretty early on in the book. From the other reviews I've read in the blogosphere, I seem to be in the minority though, so don't let this stop you from picking up The Liar Society. Though it didn't completely blow me out of the water, The Liar Society was a fun, enjoyable read that appears to be the start of a promising career for sisters Lisa and Laura Roecker!
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Liar Society.

03/04/2011 page 80