Brittany M.'s Reviews > Burn Bright

Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres

Apr 12, 14

bookshelves: dystopian
Read from May 23 to 27, 2011

Burn Bright is absolutely raw and intoxicating. Set in a world of dark intrigue and deadly secrets, the book offers non-stop twists and turns with a brilliant lead character!

Burn Bright JUST missed out on garnering a complete 5-star rating from me. The first quarter of the book was alright, but the action definitely picked up from then on. The end was absolutely amazing and I find myself wanting the second in the series, Angel Arias, RIGHT NOW!

I can’t make up my mind on the best part of Burn Bright. To me, it’s either the relationship between Retra/Naif and Lenoire, or the part the gangs in Ixion play. I find myself imagining Ixion as some kind of deadly theme park; one that’s always night and where the rides never shut down. I thought the network of kars and stations was genius, as well as the churches.

Marianne de Pierres writes settings really well. I could imagine each scene so vividly and it really added to the story. The creation of the Ripers and the Night Creatures was an interesting one, and I am dying to know more about their origin – as well as the origin of Ixion itself.

I liked the supporting cast – Suki, Rollo, Markes, etc. – but they weren’t my favourites. That lay with Retra/Naif (oh and Charlonge deserves an honourable mention, too) I must admit that I got a little confused when halfway through the novel, Retra/Naif changes names and therefore so does the whole narrative. It took me a little bit to adjust, but I did so quickly. Regarding Markes, the musician, I think I like him the least in the story. He’s just so dull and… I don’t know. As a possible love interest for Retra, I’m not feeling it. I’d rather her with Lenoire for some reason.

I’m intrigued about Dark Eve and Ruzalia, too. I love strong female characters and they definitely fit the bill.

All in all I LOVED Burn Bright. Although it does jump right into the action from page one, I personally had a little trouble getting ‘in’ to the characters and the story at first. Never fear, though, because soon you’ll be hooked on Ixion and the story in general!

Recommended to: Do yourself a favour and pick up Burn Bright if you’re a fan of dystopian fiction. If you’ve never read anything in the genre before, you might not have a taste for it as it’s a little out there and a little raw. You might want to start with a transitionary series, like The Hunger Games, before starting on this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn Bright.

05/24/2011 page 77