*Queen Diva*'s Reviews > Bliss

Apr 27, 13

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from April 15 to 27, 2013 — I own a copy

Actual rating: 3.5

Ugh.... UGH!! So, when I started Bliss I was super into it and really excited! I thought for sure this would be my favorite Lauren Myracle book by a landslide....and it was really good and interesting in the beginning, but then it started slowly sliding down in the middle, getting pretty predictable, and then the end....the front cover of my book states: "Sure to cause goose bumps all the way to the dramatic and surprising end." -School Library Journal. I, however, found the ending anything but surprisingly and rather anti-climatic. ESPECIALLY when it came the the moment that was supposed to be a climax between Sandy and Bliss. There was a major disconnect within a piece that probably took 3-5 minutes of actual time in the story. I don't understand how (view spoiler)

I was also really disappointed with Bliss a number of times. I really wanted her to act or react to a situation in a certain way, and when I found she didn't, I became angry and annoyed. Having said that, there was some part of me that was slightly happy that (view spoiler) I couldn't help but think "If only you had done the right thing so many times, maybe you wouldn't be here right now.

Another thing I found both confusing and slightly annoying is the language. At the beginning of the book I was under the impression this was taking place in the 60s or 70s...but then the language felt so modern to me that I thought maybe I was wrong and it was actually happening nowadays but then somewhere in the story someone says "This is 1969" or something and I was like "Oh... really?" I wasn't alive in the 60s so I don't know if some of the lingo we used today was popular to use back then, but at times the modern language threw me off. But that was probably me as a reader and had nothing to do with Lauren as an author (though, only someone who lived through the 60s would be able to tell me :p)

Now, getting all the things out that bothered me, I did, however, enjoy reading this book. It definitely isn't my favorite Lauren Myracle book, but it was good nonetheless. It was an interesting concept and it was incredibly written (present tense!! How does it work!!!) If you are a fan of Miss Myracle (and really, you SHOULD be), definitely check this book out. I also enjoyed reading this sort of darker side of her writing. She is a versatile author! And this is why I love her!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bliss.

04/19/2013 page 168
35.0% "So far, I am loving this book!! It might be my favorite Lauren Myracle book to date!!"
04/27/2013 marked as: read