Emily's Reviews > The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Mar 04, 11

Read in March, 2011

Most of the time these "High School" genre books blur into one big mass of lip gloss and "whatevers." This one, stands apart....a little. There is at least an attempt to depart from the usual plot, although, you do end up at the same place as all the others. What I thought was interesting about this one was my realization from it. That I truly am a social misfit. In the beginning, as Penny is swearing off men for good, and glorifying in the simplicity of her new life, I found myself nodding my head in heartfelt agreement. Then as her life became increasingly complicated by interweaving her life with the females she surrounded herself with, I found myself taken aback in wonder, disgust and fear. Never, in my worst nightmere, would I chose to interconnect my life to that degree. As a child/teenager I dreamed of the day I would live naked. On a mountain. Alone. I still fantasize about such an arrangement (despite my WONDERFUL husband four INCREDIBLE children). So despite the predictability and shallow nature of the book, I enjoyed the easy read as well as the evaluation of my inner psyche.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Hearts Club.