Deb's Reviews > The Story of Forgetting

The Story of Forgetting by Stefan Merrill Block

Mar 04, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, literary

This powerfully descriptive book is not one the reader is likely to forget, as it vividly humanizes the lives of two families affected by early onset Alzheimers, among other things. The book follows the stories of Seth, a 15 year old boy struggling to deal wth the illness of his mother, normal teenage problems like puberty, and the withdrawl of his Dad and of Abel Haggard, an elderly hunchback living in a decript farm with only his memories and the hope that his long lost daughter will find him again. The characters are quirky and some of their adventures are quite strange, even disturbing as the author does not shy away from what some might consider vulgar or taboo. There are many fascinating parts to this book--the information shared about early onset Alzheimers and where it came from, the fictional tales of Isadora that are spread among one family with the disease, and the power of love and determination to overcome overwhelming odds. If yourespond like I did you may not like every part of this book, and it may take a while for it to grow on you, but once you get into it you will be mesmorized by it. I would definitely recommend it, and I think it would make an excellent choice for a book discussion group.[return]P.S. I listened to this on audio and I don't know that that is the best medium for this book. The narrator did a good job, but the transitions between Seth's story and Abel's were not always easy for me to pick up on and I would sometimes get confused.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Forgetting.