Jennifer Melzer's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Mar 31, 11

Recommended for: fantasy lovers, fantasy fans
Read from March 21 to 31, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I'd heard wonderful things about the series, some even going so far as to warn me, "You will never be able to enjoy another series of books with the same fervor if you love the Ice and Fire books." It is so true that the minute I finished reading a A Game of Thrones, I headed to the Kindle Store to download A Clash of Kings.

The very first chapter of this book sucked me in with a chilling promise of fretful darkness in a world where you can't just turn on the lights to get away from the shadows. Set in a time and place not unlike medieval Europe, the narrative is divided chapter by chapter, allowing us to enter into several of the book's critical characters and follow the thread of their journey. As difficult as it might seem to take us on this trip through the eyes of at least nine different characters, Martin manages to weave the entire story together fluidly, and not once did I find myself feeling lost or confused when the POV shifted with a new chapter.

Every character that lent voice to the story drew me into their world and made me feel for them, even the dwarf Tyrion Lannister, with his dark view and blatant honesty in a world all-to-unwilling to see the truth that lies before it. Bran Stark became a favorite character early on, as I watched the world grow dark and tainted to his child's eyes, but failed to snuff the flame of the adventurer inside him. I quickly fell in love with Princess Daenerys Targaryen, whose older brother pushed her around all her life, threatening and mistreating her until she rose and found the power of the dragon inside her.

By and large, A Game of Thrones is one of the best books I've read since finishing Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon many, many years ago. It is a book I will read over and again for the rest of my life, just for the pleasure of revisiting old friends and living through their adventures with them again.

Five out of Five Stars without hesitation.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

George R.R. Martin
“...the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."
"...a ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.”

George R.R. Martin
“The High Septon once told me that as we sin, so do we suffer.”

George R.R. Martin
“Oh, my sweet summer child," Old Nan said quietly, "what do you know of fear?
Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet
deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long
night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children
are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and
hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods”

George R.R. Martin
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

George R.R. Martin
“Fear cuts deeper than swords.”

George R.R. Martin
“There is only one god and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: “Not today.”

George R.R. Martin
“Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.”

George R.R. Martin
“Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.”

George R.R. Martin
“Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?”

George R.R. Martin
“Nothing burns like the cold.”

George R.R. Martin
“A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better.”

George R.R. Martin
“If a man paints a target on his chest, he should expect that sooner or later someone will loose an arrow on him.”

George R.R. Martin
“A Lannister always pays his debts.”

03/21/2011
03/22/2011
12.0% "only 12% through and I can already tell you this is the best book I've read in 2011"
03/22/2011
25.0% "so good."
03/23/2011
38.0% "Everyone said this book was like crack. Never were truer words spoken."
show 12 hidden updates…