Sammy's Reviews > The Miserable Mill

The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket

Jun 13, 07

bookshelves: c-the-okay
Read in December, 2005

For some reason, I felt that this book was the more depressing out of all the books in the series really. Possibly because there's no hope shining through anywhere. All the other books the orphans always had some sort of hope or good thing to hold on to. Plus, well-meaning adults placed in their lives. But this book lacked a lot of that.

Also, one thing that really put me off right away was the sleeping arrangements they had this time around... it reminded me too much of a concentration camp setting, which is sad and depressing and not wholly appropriate even in this kind of book.

This book also makes the reader sort of ask, "Why?" Where is the book going? Is this whole series just about the orphans going from crappy place to crappy place? What's the point in continuing reading about them then if there's nothing good at all? Thinking about the book I can't really see any major need to have it in the series, I don't see exactly what difference it made except just as sort of a filler space before the other books were written and published.

It was still a good and entertaining read. Like I said, a little more depressing than the others, but all in all it was still a pretty good read. Get through this book, the series picks up again afterwards, no worries, I wouldn't give you bad advice now would I?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miserable Mill.