Kate's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011, age-ya, horse-books
Read from October 24 to 28, 2011

In the town of Thisby, in Ireland, where the ocean meets the sand, water horses emerge from the sea to devour the living. In Thisby, every November, water horses are captured and the daring race them in the Scorpio Races.

When Kate "Puck" Connelly finds out that she and her brothers are about to be evicted, she decides the best way to make money is to enter the races, even though her parents were killed by the water horses. Unfortunately, no one wants a girl to ride in the races, especially on her non-water horse, Dove. Sean Kendrick has won for the past 4 years on his water horse, Corr, and at first he thinks the race is too dangerous for Puck. But his winning streak has sparked a rivalry for his employer's attentions with Ben Malvern's son, Mutt, a rough and ruthless rider, and Puck might be caught in the middle.

Maggie Stiefvater wrote in the introduction that she was always told to write the book she wanted to see on the shelves of a bookstore. I didn't know it before, but I guess I always wanted to see a book like this on the shelves, too - I'm always looking for more young adult horse books. It's a horse book that is definitely young adult and not really meant for younger readers. Although there is the sort of typical plucky poor girl who loves horses story line (and a poor boy vs. rich boy as well), there is a romance driving the story and a lot of interesting family storylines as well. And there's a little bit of horror, too, which makes me the most happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.