Jeff's Reviews > Swallows and Amazons

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

M_50x66
Mar 04, 11

Read in February, 2011

After reading a couple mediocre books for grown-ups, I decided to take one of my son's recommendations and read this. I was absolutely charmed, and by the end could hardly wait to go sailing (and set up camp on some Lake District island). It has the same appeal as one of our family's all-time favorite picture books: Henry the Explorer by Mark Taylor. We get to watch the children plan their adventure and then go out alone to explore. Their mother is watching from the shore. She gives them sailing tips and camping advice, but she lets them have their adventure.

I'm sorry to have missed reading this as a child. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next summer in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swallows and Amazons.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Black The place to go is Coniston Water in the Lakes district. The island in the lake was the inspiration for Wildcat Island, and there is even a boathouse where you can rent sailboats to get to the island! All in all a terrific vacation if you can get there.