Shawna's Reviews > A Local Habitation

F 50x66
Mar 04, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in February, 2010

When I heard that the University of Washington bookstore stocked these before their drop date, I immediately called them and reserved one, despite the fact that I also have it preordered online (I've found a home for the extra book). I picked it up around 6:00pm on Tuesday, and by 7:00pm on Wednesday I finished it by virtue of working as a receptionist at a relatively unbusy office.

This book amazed me even more than the first one did.

In the first book, Rosemary and Rue, we are introduced to October "Toby" Daye, a changeling who is half human and half Daoine Sidhe. Changelings in McGuire's urban fantasy are not faerie folk put in place of a stolen child, but rather someone who is part human and part fae of some variety or other. Toby's life includes, among other things, mysteries, murders, headaches, curses, coffee, felines, courtiers, knighthood and hijinks. A Local Habitation is the second book in the series (McGuire recently tweeted that big ideas for book 11 have hit her), and it just as full of intrigue and convolution as the previous book, if not more so. Last time, Toby had to solve the murder of a Countess under strange circumstances. This time, Toby's liege (Duke Sylvester Torquill) sends her to ALH Computing in Fremont, CA to check on his niece, January. Toby quickly discovers that all is not right, and that January's people are being murdered left and right, and that if she doesn't find out by whom and why, she may very well be next.

4/5 stars; I couldn't put this down until I'd finished it.

Details that delighted me include more information about the Kitsune race in McGuire's books, and some really damn clever magic rules.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Local Habitation.