Kye-lee's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 04, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult, youth-romance, trilogy-or-series, my-favourites
Read in January, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Kye-lee Liked

Lauren Oliver
“My heart is drumming in my chest so hard it aches, but it's the good kind of ache, like the feeling you get on the first real day of autumn, when the air is crisp and the leaves are all flaring at the edges and the wind smells just vaguely of smoke - like the end and the beginning of something all at once.”

Lauren Oliver
“We stand there for a moment, looking at each other, and in that instant I feel our connection so strongly it's as though it achieves physical existence, becomes a hand all around us, cupping us together, protecting us. This is what people are always talking about when they talk about god: this feeling, of being held and understood and protected. feeling this way seems about as close to saying a prayer as you could get...”

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”

Lauren Oliver
“And now I know why they invented words for love, why they had to: It's the only thing that can come close to describing what I feel in that moment, the baffling mixture of pain and pleasure and fear and joy, all running sharply through me at once.”
tags: love

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“I've been so used to thinking of what the borders are keeping out that I haven't considered that they're also penning us in.”

Lauren Oliver
“The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and
when you don’t.”

Lauren Oliver
“Snapshots, moments, mere seconds: as fragile and beautiful and hopeless as a single butterfly, flapping on against a gathering wind.”

Lauren Oliver
“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”

Lauren Oliver
“I know that the whole point—the only point—is to
find the things that matter, and hold on to them, and fight for them, and refuse to
let them go.”

Lauren Oliver
“Most things, even the greatest movements on earth, have their beginnings in something small. An earthquake that shatters a city with a tremor, a tremble, a breath. Music begins with a vibration. The flood that rushed into Portland twenty years ago after nearly two months of straight rain, that hurtled up beyond the labs and damaged more than a thousand houses, swept up tire and trash bags and old, smelly shoes and floated them through the streets like prizes, that left a thin film of green mold behind, a stench of rotting and decay that didn't go away for months, began with a trickle of water, no wider than a finger, lapping up onto the docks. And
God created the whole universe from an atom no bigger than a thought. Grace's life fell apart because of a single word: sympathizer. My world exploded because of a different word: suicide. Correction: That was the first time my world exploded. The second time my world exploded, it was also because of a word. A word that worked its way out of my throat and danced onto and out of my lips before I could think about it, or stop it. The question was: Will you meet me tomorrow? And the word was: Yes.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

Lauren Oliver
“I'd rather die my way than live yours.”

Lauren Oliver
“I run for I don't know how long. Hours, maybe, or days. Alex told me to run. So I run. You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way. But I have a secret. You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope,and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“He’s speaking in the tone of voice that everyone uses when they’re about to break you apart. Gentle—kind, even—like they can make the news sound better just by speaking in a lullaby voice.”

Lauren Oliver
“I know that life isn't life if you just float through it. I know that the whole point- the only point- is to find the things that matter and hold onto them and fight for them and refuse to let them go.”

Lauren Oliver
“Everyone is asleep. They've all been asleep for years. You seemed ... awake.' Alex is whispering now. He closes his eyes, opens them again.'I'm tired of sleeping.”

Lauren Oliver
“Hearts are fragile things. That's why you have to be so careful.”

Lauren Oliver
“I said, I prefer the ocean when it's gray. Or not really gray. A pale, in-between color. It reminds me of waiting for something good to happen.”

Lauren Oliver
“That's all I want. Just you and me. Always.”

Lauren Oliver
“He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly.”

Lauren Oliver
“... sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever.”

Lauren Oliver
“You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope, and without fear.

I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“Now I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.”
tags: love

Lauren Oliver
“My stomach gets that hollowed-out feeling. It's amazing how words can do that, just shred your insides apart.”

Lauren Oliver
“He is my world and my world is him and without him there is no world.”

Lauren Oliver
“I'd rather die on my own terms than live on theirs. I'd rather die loving Alex than live without him.”

Lauren Oliver
“And I love you too.” His fingers skate the edge of my jaw, dance briefly
over my lips. “You should know that. You have to know that.”

Lauren Oliver
“Rainstorms are incredible: falling shards of glass, the air full of diamonds.”

Lauren Oliver
“What is beauty? Beauty is no more than a trick; a delusion; the influence of excited particles and electrons colliding in your eyes, jostling in your brain like a bunch of overeager school children, about to be released on break. Will you let yourself be deluded? Will you let yourself be decieved?

-"On Beauty and Falsehood," The New Philosophy, by Ellen Dorpshire”

Lauren Oliver
“You have to go forward: It's the only way. You have to go forward no matter what happens. This is the universal law.”
tags: life