Jordan McPeek's Reviews > The Infiltrator: My Secret Life Inside the Dirty Banks Behind Pablo Escobar's Medellín Cartel

The Infiltrator by Robert Mazur

M 50x66
Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: true-crime
Read from March 03 to 12, 2011

Even though you know this is the story of the biggest undercover operation in US history, you don't know the details. So this book reads like a thriller. You don't know who's going to get caught, and who's going to get away. You don't know if the agents escaped unharmed. You don't know how much they seized. And it just rips along. They keep getting in deeper and deeper, and higher and higher. Setbacks, risks, mistakes all threaten to send it off the rails, much of it due to other agents and agencies supposedly working toward the same goal. The risks and sacrifices these people made is admirable and inspiring, as much as the actions of those who got in the way is disgusting. The suggestion of domestic political interests, business leaders, and intelligence agencies all benefiting from the money laundering business is fascinating, especially as an explanation for why so little money laundering is prosecuted. For all its success, Mazur shows how the operation only succeeded in stopping a drop in the bucket of dirty money sloshing around the world every day. The last night I read I literally couldn't put it down. I was sick, went to bed early and read, fought off sleep until it was time for my next pill, then stayed up for 3 more hours finishing off this book. What a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infiltrator.