Rosa's Reviews > What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

51996
Mar 03, 2011

bookshelves: biography, writing
Read from March 07 to 10, 2011

I read another short review here on Goodreads, where a young gentleman wrote, “I will likely appreciate this book more in a few decades from now.” Well, I’m older, and my own running has taken it’s toll on me, so as both writer and runner (though not nearly as accomplished a runner as Murakami) I appreciated this book quite a bit. One of the things Murakami is most proud of, is that he’s never walked in a race, and that alone is quite extraordinary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

03/07/2011 page 24
13.0% "Early in, I sense this will be a book I’ll want to take my time with. Have already entered a bit on what he’s said about rhythm on my Tumblr (pg 4): “the point being to let the exhilaration I feel carry over.” On page 17 he says, “I run to acquire a void.” So different from how I’ll run always expecting to fill them up."
03/07/2011 page 48
25.0% "Funny how certain things jump out at you… 33. “Thirty-three— that’s how old I was then. Still young enough, though no longer a young man. The age that Jesus Christ died. The age that Scott Fitzgerald started to go downhill. That age may be a kind of crossroads in life. That was the age when I began my life as a runner, and it was my belated, but real, starting point as a novelist.”"
03/08/2011 page 69
36.0% "“I sit at a café in the village and gulp down cold Amstel beer. It tastes fantastic, but not nearly as great as the beer I’d been imagining as I ran. Nothing in the real world is as beautiful as the illusions of a person about to lose consciousness.” — after Murakami’s 1st-ever experience running nearly 26 miles, backward-tracing the original battle messenger’s course in Greece, from Athens to the town of Marathon."
03/08/2011 page 104
54.0% "About to hear of his 62-mile ultramarathon at Lake Saroma in Hokkaido. “I think when you read this you’ll get a general idea of what this harsh race left me with, both the happy and not-so-happy things. But maybe you’ll tell me you just don’t get it.”"
03/09/2011 page 136
71.0% "“Maybe the only thing I can definitely say about [my runner’s blues] is this: That’s life. Maybe the only thing we can do is accept it, without really knowing what’s going on. Like taxes, the tide rising and falling, John Lennon’s death, and miscalls by referees at the World Cup.”"