Christy's Reviews > Love Amid The Ashes

Love Amid The Ashes by Mesu Andrews

Mar 03, 2011

Read from March 21 to 25, 2011

Having been a fan of Biblical fiction for many years now, I was very intrigued to read a story about the life of Job. Job's story in the Bible is not one that I've read very many times because frankly, it's a little sad and depressing, even though it does end well. I have to say that the fictional retelling of Job's story in Love Amid the Ashes really has me wanting to crack open this book in my Bible to get a better appreciation of Job's trials.

I really appreciated the genealogy flow chart at the beginning of the book because without it, I don't know if I'd have ever been able to keep all the characters straight! There are a LOT of characters mentioned at the very beginning of the story, and I admit that I was confused a number of times. However, had all of those characters not been introduced, I wouldn't have gotten a full picture of the people involved in Job's life.

I was also very grateful for the author's note at the end of the book explaining how she developed the story. I never would've thought of Jacob's daughter, Dinah, as being a part of Job's life at all, but thanks to the enormous research done by Ms. Andrews, it very likely may have been a reality. Because of that, I doubt I will ever look at Job's story the same way again.

I highly recommend Love Amid the Ashes for those who enjoy Biblical fiction. Ms. Andrews has challenged my thinking, and has encouraged me to thoroughly re-read the story of Job. I can't wait to see what she has planned for her next novel because as a debut author, she's hit the ball out of the park with Love Amid the Ashes! My rating is 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Amid The Ashes.

03/23/2011 page 103