Lori's Reviews > The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler

Mar 03, 11

Listening to the first chapter of this book, I was convinced it was my biography! I found this to be a very fascinating account of what makes us overeat and how the food industry uses this information to sell their products and feed our addictions. They have found that people become mildly addicted to sugar, salt, or fat but when these things are combined in optimal proportions, our addictions are enhanced. Many chain restaurants over process their meat and chicken so that we are essentially eating "pre-chewed" food that is easier to swallow allowing us to eat more faster. Plus the meat or chicken may have also been injected with that addictive combination of sugar, salt, and fat. I recently ate at McDonald's and was grossed out by the slimy consistency of the grilled chicken. The author also discussed how bad habits can be replaced with good habits, how to avoid stimuli that have "voices", and how some people are hyper-eaters and some people just aren't and you can't change this disposition but you can change your response. I will try to picture M&Ms and Snowballs as disgusting and practice convincing myself to avoid them. Oreos, too! Oh the list could go on . . .
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Overeating.