Nicole About Town's Reviews > The Partly Cloudy Patriot

The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell

May 11, 11

bookshelves: favourites
Read in March, 2011

This has got to be one of the best books I have read in a long, long time. The book is comprised of a collection of essays and personal stories. It is actually a book that I can see myself reading over and over again as the years go by.

All of the essays are funny, some more than others. Of particular note are "God Will Give You Blood to Drink in a Souvenir Shot Glass", and "Rosa Parks, C'est Moi?".
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Partly Cloudy Patriot.

Quotes Nicole About Town Liked

Sarah Vowell
“.....breathing secondhand smoke, being subject to unfair dairy pricing, and not being able to mime (or lap dance), though they are all tragic, tragic injustices, are not quite as bad as the systematic segregation of public transportation based on skin color. And while fighting for your right to lap dance and mime and breathe just regular pollution is a very fine, very American idea, it is not quite as brave as being middle-aged black woman in Alabama in 1955 telling a white man she's not giving him her seat despite the fact that the law requires her to do so.”

Sarah Vowell
“Um," I asked, "isn't the whole point about being a slave that you don't have a choice to be anything else?" Prettying up the word slave with the adjective-noun constructions makes "enslaved African" sound nonchalant. As in "Those were the cabins of the jolly leprechauns.”

Sarah Vowell
“No cowboys for Canada. Canada got Mounties instead - Dudley Do-Right, not John Wayne. It's a mind-set of "Here I come to save the day" versus "Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.”