Laurel's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from March 03 to 13, 2011

There has been a lot of extreme feelings about The Kingkiller Chronicles. It makes me wonder if The Lord of The Rings faced a similar controversy in it's own awakening. There are many of us whom have preached our love for the trilogy from any roof or mountaintop we can find. Extreme love for a thing can make anyone, even the author himself I am to understand, feel unease. I must admit to proudly voicing my dislike for things that are widely popular to those of a different social group. Our dislike defines us as much as our favor. I feel rather ignorant for having done this myself; there really is no need.

I should be writing a review of the book, but instead I will say this. If you feel a passionate dislike for this book and it's series, please take my humble request to heart. Leave the books to sit in a quiet, but safe corner of your home for a time. Let the hype and your resentment die down for a time. I tell you truly, these books are among the finest I have ever read. Give yourself the gift of a second chance with them in a few years' time. I don't believe that you will regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

03/07/2011 page 49
5.0% "Oh, Mr. Rothfuss. Can anyone turn a phrase the way that you do?"
03/08/2011 page 98
10.0% 2 comments
03/09/2011 page 232
23.0% "On page 232 there is a character named Laurel!! I jumped out of my chair, called friends to share the news, it made my day! "I swear, some days the light should shine straight through that girl's head.""
03/12/2011 page 350
35.0% "I was surprised, at first, that I was taking my time with this book. I thought I'd burn through it in a couple of days. However, I now realize that I want to ruminate over it, try to figure out who Auri is, what is Denna's motivation, etc. I'm enjoying thinking about the book as much as reading it!"
show 11 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tobey (new) - added it

Tobey I loved the Name of the Wind and cannot wait to read this one, though I might not to for a while yet! :-(

message 2: by j (new)

j i appreciate what you are saying with your review. i have nothing against this book or the success (it's good for the genre). the evangelical fans can be a bit annoying (they remind me of firefly fans, the ones who talk about it like nothing else of TV ever has or will compare -- and i loved the show, watched it from day one, was sad it was canceled, etc.). but that doesn't make me resent the book. and i still thought TNOTW was dull. well written, but the episodic narrative just doesn't engage me.

i dunno, maybe if i re-read it with the understanding that it doesn't have a plot, per se, i would enjoy it more. but i still thought the last 200 pages (with the draccus) was super boring.

Laurel Joel, all I can say is, I hope you give Wise Man's Fear a try. One of the things I like best about it is that I can't fall asleep as I'm still making guesses in my head about what will happen on the third day. I have so many theories about each of the characters... I realize I'll most likely be wrong about most of them, but how many books can I remember that have gotten me thinking like this - a handful at best? Perhaps it's just that I love a good mystery. And Mr. Rothfuss has included a good many mysteries!

Kevin Xu I agree with Joel. Plus I can't read a book where I hate the main character, Kvothe, especially because is a loner, and makes so many mistakes along with an anger issue that he should not have because he is a prodigy. Prodigies like him should foresee most of their problems coming their way that is why they are prodigy, but I think his problems and issues is why some may like Kovthe.

Kevin Xu I guess no matter how much time has passed if I hate the main character, I am still going to hate the book, maybe even more if I read it, all the anger will build back up.