Cynthia's Reviews > The Devils of Loudun

Feb 11, 08

bookshelves: waring-canon
Read in January, 1987

Self-transcendence.
I reread this one as an adult and understood the time period better than in high school. It is a book I am glad to have read while a student at Waring as it gave me a sense of being able to delve into a book in-depth, which served me well in college.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devils of Loudun.

Antoine This is one of those books where I think it is safe to say that it set in motion things and ideas that changed my life. I know I am not the only one in our class who felt that way. At the same time I also know people who groan at the very mention of the book. Their loss.

Cynthia I remember having a "devil" of a time with it in high school. I really felt pushed to the edge of my abilities. At the time and for some time after, I questioned the wisdom of using it in a high school classroom. I believe it is important though to have a few books like this in the curriculum, ones that are particularly challenging. The journey was hard, but I felt that if others could understand it, then so would I.