Denise's Reviews > Waiting for SUPERMAN: A Participant Media Guide

Waiting for SUPERMAN by Karl Weber

Mar 03, 11

Read in February, 2011

You have to see the irony in that I was waiting for a documentary on saving America's schools and I got the book! So, I'm back on the list for the movie, but I'm glad I read the book as it is a supplement to the documentary. The documentary will focus more on the kids and the book focuses on several different educational philosophies. The book makes great points, but I think the solutions are one sided as most of the solutions focus on charter schools. The book fails to mention that one of these acclaimed charter schools brought up their testing scores because they asked the kids to leave who could not help bring the scores up. I also believe that a majority of charter schools focus on core knowledge and that a handful of people get stuck in the idea that today's kids need to learn the way we did. The fact of the matter is that our kids need to learn in a way that prepares them for the 21st century not the 20th. Obviously, I don't have all the answers, nobody is seeking my advice, but poor public schools don't perform well because there is a lack of parent involvement at school and at home. NO kid will do well in school if their only learning time is in the classroom. Parents must be involved and work with their children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for SUPERMAN.