Bianca St. 's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: any young adult paranormal romance lover
Read from January 06 to 07, 2012

There are books that you put down and go to sleep when it gets too late, thinking 'I'll read more tomorrow.'
There are books that you like but fall asleep while reading them at night because they are not captivating enough.
This book is not like that. This is the kind of book that keeps you up all night, the kind of book that turns hours into minutes and minutes into seconds and you have no idea what time it is but you know you MUST finish the book and find out what happens next. It' s the kind of book that you are scared to finish because you don't want it to end and when you do finish it you feel incredibly excited and sad at the same time.
This is a book where you smile dumbly when the main character is happy and feel an ache in your heart when the heroine is sad.
I must say I haven't read a book like this in a while and I am extremely happy that I picked it up and read it.

This is honestly the best angel book I have read, better than Hush Hush or Halo or anything else. I loved the fact that Clara was only part angel so it didn't feel like she was an angel trying to act like a human, how it is in other angel stories. Also, the fact that part angels didn't get to meet God was a good idea, in my point of view, because the subject of God and 'full' angels was still something mysterious, like it should be.

The character development throughout the book was amazing. (view spoiler)

In my point of view it is hard as a writer to make your readers love a character in the beginning of the book and then make your readers love a character that didn't seem that important in the beginning even more. And it's something that not a lot of writers manage to do. Sometimes the character development happens to fast and it seems as if the character becomes a totally different person. This was not the case with Unearthly.

There are just so many things I loved about this book. I highly recommend it to any young adult paranormal romance lover. :)

Lastly, I want to say bravo to Cynthia Hand for being an amazing author! I will definitely read more of her work in the future!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Quotes Bianca Liked

Cynthia Hand
“I beat at him uselessly with my fists. I scream. My mind races. I'll pee on him. Puke, bite, scratch. Sure, I'll lose, but if he's going to mark me I am going to mark him, too, if such a thing is possible.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: "But she gave me the perfect gift."
Clara: "What?"
Tucker: "You.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: Why would you tell me now if it's against the rules?
Clara: Because I love you.”

Cynthia Hand
“Sam: "I always thought you were the most beautiful of all the Nephilim."
Meg: "That's ironic because I always thought you were the ugliest of all the angels.”

Cynthia Hand
“So often we only do what we think is expected of us, when we are capable of so much more.”

Cynthia Hand
“Hey, you feel like driving today?" he asks. "I don't want to walk to the bus stop. It's too cold."
"You feel like dying today?"
"Sure. I like risking my life. Keeps things in perspective.”

Cynthia Hand
“My hair is my best feature, long and wavy, bright gold with a hint of red, trailing behind me wherever I go like an afterthought.”

Cynthia Hand
“In fact, I've essentially given up on the idea of flight altogether and accepted that I'm going to be an angel-blood who stays earthbound, a flightless bird, like an ostrich. Maybe, or in this weather, a penguin.”

Cynthia Hand
“Hey, Carrots," he says.”

Cynthia Hand
“Are you any good at it?"
"Pulling idiots out of the snow? I'm the best.”

Cynthia Hand
“Oh, come on. You eye-hump him all through British History.”

Cynthia Hand
“Silver Avalanche coming up the driveway," calls Jeffrey from upstairs.
"What are you, security?" I call back.”

Cynthia Hand
“What did you think I was?"
"A rude Hick."
"Geez, blunt much?”

Cynthia Hand
“Have you ever been to a place you're supposed to love, but all you can think about is home?”

Cynthia Hand
“I'm looking at you. Why are you always trying to hide how pretty you are?”

Cynthia Hand
“What do you see in a guy like Christian Prescott?" he asked me that night when he dropped me off from prom. And what he was really saying then, what would have come through loud and clear if I hadn't been so blind was, why don't you see me?

Cynthia Hand
“Insert the biggest, most awkward silence in the history of big awkward silences.”

Cynthia Hand
“And sometimes time really does stop.”

Cynthia Hand
“Fine.” He smirks at me. “Nice to meet you, Carrots,” he says, looking directly at my hair. “Oh, I mean Clara.”
My face flames.
“Same to you, Rusty,” I shoot back, but he’s already striding away.”

Cynthia Hand
“Think about Tucker. Think about a good memory, she whispers in my mind. Remember a moment when you loved him. And just like that, I do.

"What did the fish say when it hit a concrete wall?" he asked me. We're sitting on the bank of a stream and he's tying a fly onto my fishing rod, wearing a cowboy hat and red lumberjack-style flannel shirt over a gray tee. So adorable.
"What?" I say, he grins. Unbelievable of how gorgeous he is. And that he's mine. He loves me and I love him.
"Dam!" he says.

Cynthia Hand
“Dude. Hot Bozo. Best nickname ever.”

Cynthia Hand
“I think the birds in the area are dying laughing watching me try not to crash.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker," I say. "I'm so glad you're still here."
I throw myself into his arms. He hugs me tightly.
"I couldn't leave," he says.
"I know."
"I mean, literally. I don't have a ride.”

Cynthia Hand
“Look closer. The river's its own world of fast and slow, deep and shallow, bright and shadowed. If you look at it like that, like a landscape where the fish live, it'll be easier to catch one.”

Cynthia Hand
“Because if it's not her fault, it's God's, and I'm not ready to be pissed at the Almighty.”

Cynthia Hand
“Clara: "I won't hurt you." Be not afraid.
His eyes flashed with anger like i've come right out and called him chicken.”

Cynthia Hand
“I feel like Cinderella sitting in the middle of the road with a pumpkin and a couple of mice, while Prince Charming charges off to rescue some other chick.”

“I’m flying!”

Of course, I’m not flying so much as coasting over the treetops like a hang glider or a freakishly large flying squirrel.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: "Today we ran into a mama grizzly with two cubs at the ridge off Colter Bay and Clara sang to it to make it go away."

Mrs. Avery: You sang to it?

Tucker: Her singing is that bad.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: Is it okay to kiss you?

Clara: What?

Tucker: I won't get struck by lightning?

Clara: (laughs) No lightning.”

Cynthia Hand
“Clara's mother: Yes, and what could possible be more important to your life right now than Christian?

Clara: I'm going out with Tucker.”

Cynthia Hand
“I'm in love with Tucker Avery.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: I'm glad it happened. because then I got to know who you really are.

Clara: Oh yeah? Who am I?

Tucker: A really, really spiritual, spoiled California chick.

Avery: Shut up.

Tucker: It's cool though. My girlfriend is an angel.”

Cynthia Hand
“Clara: My heart doesn't belong to me anymore. It belongs to Tucker.”

Cynthia Hand
“I think he seriously believes that deflowering an angel could mean an eternity in fiery hell.”

Cynthia Hand
“Have a care, Sir Tucker, lest you find yourself in the stockades."
He scoffs and looks at Mr. Erikson. "She can't do that, can she? She's not the ruler of this class. Brady is."
...
"You could strip him of his title," suggests Brady, apparently not minding at all that I have usurped his throne. "Make him a serf."
"Yeah," says Christian. "Make him a serf. Being a serf blows."
As a serf, poor Christian has already been killed several times in our class. Aside from dying of the Black Plague on the first day, he's starved to death, had his hands cut off for stealing a loaf of bread, and been run down by his master's horse just for kicks. He's like Christian the fifth now.”

Cynthia Hand
“This man, this impostor of a man, can kill my body but he can't touch my soul.”

Cynthia Hand
“You are going to love the sports here. Snow skiing and water-skiing and rock climbing and all kinds of extreme sports. I give you full permission to hurl yourself off stuff.”

Cynthia Hand
“I wonder if the prayers of angel-bloods count more than regular people's.”

Cynthia Hand
“I won’t be that girl who lets the guy treat her like crap and still fawns all over him.”

“Nice tree," he says.
That boy has unexpected depth.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker snorts. "Sage is a fighter, it spreads over the land like wildfire, sucking up all the water, the nutrients in the earth, until everything else dies. It's a heart little plant, that I'll give it. But it's gray and ugly and ticks love to hide in it. You ever seen a tick?" He glances over at me. The look on my face must be pretty appalled because suddenly he gives and uncomfortable cough and says quietly, "Sage does have a nice smell.”

Cynthia Hand
“And then I can feel what he feels. He’s waited such a long time for this moment. He loves how I feel in his arms. He loves the smell of my hair. He loves the way I looked at him just now, flushed and wanting more from him. He loves the color of my lips and now the taste of my mouth is making his knees feel weak and he doesn’t want to seem weak in front of me.”

Cynthia Hand
“The backcountry signs say stuff like BEYOND THIS POINT IS A HIGH RISK AREA, WHICH HAS MANY HAZARDS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, AVALANCHES, CLIFFS, AND HIDDEN OBSTACLES, YOU MAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COST OF YOUR RESCUE and I think, um, no thanks. I choose life.”
tags: life

Cynthia Hand
“She watched you wrestle Toby Jameson, who probably weighs two hundred pounds, without even working up a sweat. And she said to herself, wow, that's a good wrestler, he must be an angel.”

Cynthia Hand
“Because I love you.' There. I said it. I can't believe I actually said it. People cast around those words so carelessly. I always cringe whenever I hear kids say it while making out in the hall at school. I love you, babe. I love you, too. Here they're all of sixteen years old and convinced that they've found true love. I always thought I'd have more sense than that, a little more perspective. But here I am, saying it and meaning it.”

Cynthia Hand
“Crap. No one's ever called me dorkina before. Derivative of dork. Not good.”

Cynthia Hand
“Clara," he says, my name sounding different somehow when it passes through his lips. "I'll miss you.”

Cynthia Hand
“You think I'm pretty?" I ask.
"We need to stop talking," he says a little gruffly. "We're scaring the fish off."
"Okay, okay." I bite my lip, then smile.”

“Oh right. What about Wendy?" I ask
"What about her?"
"It's her birthday, too. I'm the worst friend ever. I should have sent her something. Did you exchange gifts?"
"Not yet." He turns toward me. "But she gave me the perfect gift."
The way he's looking at me sends butterflies into my stomach. "What?"
"You.”

01/06/2012 page 49
11.0% "Holy cow, I'm in love!"
01/06/2012 page 203
47.0% "I'm devouring this book right now. It's different than other angel books but in a good way."