Beverly's Reviews > Crunch

Crunch by Leslie Connor

Mar 03, 11

Read in March, 2011

I truly enjoyed this book. Connor has created a very love-able character in Dewey. Dewey's not perfect but he's hard working and learns from his mistakes. The characters in Crunch are quirky and humorous providing for a fun read about a serious situation. I doubt that people in real life would adapt to gas pumps running dry as well as the characters in this book. However, one can hope.

I have to admit that I did find Dewey's older sister Lil, to be rather bossy and somewhat annoying. Poor Dewey was doing all the work, while she spent her days working on her art (not that art isn't serious). While Dewey did make mistakes and perhaps got in over his head, he did remarkably well for a 14 year old child. Meanwhile, Lil was content to let Dewey shoulder all the work. If if she was going to act in the place of their parents, she could have done so with a little more consistency and not just when it suited her.

All in all I found this to be a feel good read that dealt with a serious situation in a humorous way. It was a quick read and I didn't want to stop once I started.

Recommended for 5th Grade and up.

Mrs. Archer's rating: 4 1/2 of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crunch.