Sally's Reviews > Royal Blood

Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen

Mar 03, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read in March, 2011

I have been enjoying Rhys Bowen's stories about Lady Georgiana, cousin to King George, and think this 4th and most recent book in the series is the best so far. Lady Georgiana goes to Transylvania to be a member of a wedding party, and the topic of vampires is central. I am not generally attracted to vampire stories, but I read this one because of the continuing tale of Lady Georgiana. The story incorporates the traditional idea of vampires (dress, behavior, aversion to garlic, crosses, wooden stakes, etc.) but instead of dwelling on the presence of a vampire, it plays on the influence of Bram Stoker's novel, and the implied history of Vlad the Impaler. There is a murder mystery to be solved and I think the plot was well crafted. I have been captured by Lady Georgiana's romantic interest in the handsome Irishman, Darcy O'Mara (there must be some influence here from Mr. Darcy of Pride and Prejudice). He is still mysterious and I certainly hope that Rhys Bowen gives us more of him. I don't generally read romance novels, either, but this is very romantic without being a bodice-ripper.

I think this novel would stand on it's own, but I recommend reading the first three in the series first, for the background events that are only hinted at in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Blood.