Libby's Reviews > The Oracle of Stamboul

The Oracle of Stamboul by Michael David Lukas

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-in-2011
Read from March 03 to 05, 2011

I really enjoyed The Oracle Of Stamboul. It tells the story of Eleonora Cohen, a very unusual girl. She can learn languages, break codes, and understand politics far beyond the average eight year old could. Set in the last days of the Ottaman Empire, this book is basically about how Eleonora's amazing abilities and a sudden change of circumstances give her so many oppurunties, but sometimes you just have to burn out.
Until the last chapter, I expected this book to be marketed towards teens. The protaganist is fairly young, there's no romance or innuendoss, and I was also surprised to find historical fiction that was actually, y'know, historical and had clearly been researched with contemporary references. Not just set in the past. But when it came to the escape in the final pages, I saw how it was leaning towards adult fiction. It's the kind of stuff that crops up all the time in my mum's magazines, about starting a new life and the pressure being all too much and all that jazz.
All in all, a lovely book with a page-turning plot, good word-weaving and a precocious and somewhat annoying protaganist. That was the one downside. At points, Eleonora was amazing and flawed and three-dimensional. And then she was a carbon copy of the annoying twins I knew in primary school who held knowledge above kindness, that kind of attitude.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Oracle of Stamboul.

message 1: by Justine (new)

Justine Bit harsh about my magazine reading, etc - but I like where you are coming from.