tonya.'s Reviews > XVI

XVI by Julia Karr

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dystopian-utopian-post-apocalyptic, ya
Read from March 16 to 29, 2011

This would be more like 2.5ish stars. Great premise, interesting societal construction--one that made me angry and question how different, at its core, this society is from ours, especially given recent developments--but the story arc itself was not well executed, and pretty boring if I'm being honest. The characters and dialogue were flat and one dimensional, and it read very 'young.' The ending was incredibly anticlimactic; I actually had to go check to make sure it wasn't a series. For as much drama/intrigue as the author tried to create, the ending left a lot of things unresolved, with only the briefest reference that there was a possibility resolution.

Verdict: meh. Very, very meh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read XVI.

03/17/2011
10.0% "Sex-teens? Hmmm. I have a feeling this society is going to make me ragey."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Lucky! My library wouldn't order this one.

tonya. oh, booo. i got mine on amazon.

message 3: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy interesting... but that may piss me off too much. keep us posted.

message 4: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Davids This seems to be on the tough end of Dystopia. Are you liking it so far?

tonya. It's still feeling a little slow, but I also haven't had a lot of time to read in one sitting. I'm hoping to finish it today.

message 6: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Davids I think that must be a new trend. Apart from Divergent by Veronica Roth, most books I've read lately seem to be on the slow start train. Will read this at some point.

tonya. I guess it makes sense; there has to be a lot of exposition in Dystopian stories, but I think there's a way to do it in context rather than a clunky info dump. Not to say XVI has been that way, it just hasn't really sucked me in at all yet.

message 8: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Davids True.

message 9: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Davids I will be skipping this then.

tonya. TheDuchess wrote: "I will be skipping this then."

It brings up some interesting points, but overall I never really became invested in the main character. Would love to read something else along these lines, though.

message 11: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Davids To be honest, I wasnt too psyched about the story line to start with.

tonya. TheDuchess wrote: "To be honest, I wasnt too psyched about the story line to start with.
This is a stand alone right? Because if its a trilogy, sometimes authors improve."

Not as far as I know. I actually checked when I finished because the ending was so unsatisfying.

Leiah She is writing a sequel.

tonya. Leiah wrote: "She is writing a sequel."

Oh, really? Okay, then I'm more okay with the ending.

Lyndsey I wish that more books would be up front being turned into series. A lot of them seem to imply that they are standalones and then BAM, you're into another series. That can be annoying.