Tessa's Reviews > hidden

hidden by Tomas Mournian

Mar 09, 11

bookshelves: fictive, yyay
Read from March 03 to 09, 2011

I read a review of this on a YA blog, and then looked it up to see if we'd ordered it yet. It was already in! And in my library. But cataloged for the adult section. So of course I had to read it to figure out why.

After reading it, I'm still not sure. I think it would have a lot of appeal for teens who watch drama-filled reality tv where people are forced to live with each other, read "street lit", for fans of Ellen Hopkins, fans of Push, and for GLBTQ teens & allies, and for anyone who likes reading a challenging narrator (that's vague - I'm referring to the broken up, unreliable, stream of consciousness style of the narration).

There is one sex scene, but it's no worse than the sexual abuse described in other YA books, and probably better because it describes safer sex between consenting people, and nothing terrible happens because of it (except for safe-house-resident drama, which is part of the appeal).

So. That's not a review of the book, but something I'd be curious to discuss about it. The book itself was tough to get into, mostly because of Ahmed's constant use of slang and the fact that it is stream-of-consciousness from a scared, abused teen who doesn't know what his reality is. So as a reader it's sometimes hard to figure out what the reality is. But it grew on me, and although my personal tastes sometimes cried out for something more traditional, it was fun to read (not that the subject matter was fun, but the freshness of the style was fun).

There were some typos that could have been caught. Especially using the word "whipple" for "wimple". As in, nun-wear.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read hidden.

Rebecca you get stuff so fast! i requested this from my library, but i don't think they've even ordered it yet. i am officially jealous of your library connections!

Tessa I think I've been taking this aspect of my library for granted!

Rebecca you are spoiled and ungrateful. like milk.

Tessa Ha! yes.